• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

EWO stick questions

Basiiczxx

I currently use 3x Hawk Minis with custom Amsteel double aiders. I have a fourth stick but have only ever needed it once with the double aiders. I plan on upgrading to a nicer stick this offseason.

Quietness and being able to get up in 1 climb are my current prioritizes. I use a Tethrd platform and a few times a year I lug up a lone wolf assault tree stand for all day sits. (I'm not a counting ounces person)

Currently my #1 option is the EWO's, I'm just stuck on what options with them and would like to see how everyone else has theirs setup and how they stack with their setup.

I'm also open to other stick recommendations as I thought I was 100% getting beast minis until I saw how many people say EWO is better (also don't want stuff bending midseason and being SOL.)

Another side topic Daisey chains, I used them once on a smooth bark tree and had my only ever kick out and shelved them. Was this purely user error? Are rope mods easier to get tight enough on trees like beaches? Using the racheting straps drive me insane noise wise but know that the stick wont move no matter the tree.

Last edited:
EWO are solid. I dont stack them / strap sticks individually or i one stick w Aider. I like the cable Aider ( easy to use with all boots) but have used Amsteel 2 step as well.
I am awaiting a Fixed Shikar and interested to compare.
Attachement options are not much different in terms of speed or noise for me. Go with what your comfortable with. Search: stick attachment and read up on threads about members that "tried it all".
If you want to use amsteel daisy chain check out Aerial assault youtube about truckers hitch to prevent kick out.
Rope Mod is slightly easier to get tight personally .
Woven chain - i dont use often.
Ratchet strap- take off rachet and go buckleless.
* disclaimer = i am just a slackjawed yokel and realtively new to saddles .

I used an EWO with amsteel daisy chain just year for one sticking. It was excellent except the one time I tried climbing a very large smooth barked beech tree. Stick slid 8" before it grabbed, which I'm convinced was due to the combination of the amsteel daisy chain on smooth bark.
My experience is when placed solidly using daisy chains they won't kick out. But sometimes you don't get optimal trees and what seems like a solid placement isn't. I've never experienced any other issues going up, so the daisy chains work great for me. But I'm less convinced using them on traditional sticks where you're also descending.

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

Thanks for the input,

I may wait until I get the chance to try some other options in person which idk how ill do that being in Vermont until late may when ill most likely be moving to Wisconsin. I may order 1 stick of each I like and resell the ones I don't use. I like the EWOs other than the packability, I like beasts mainly for how good everyone says they dig in but dislike how hard they're to order and scared of the people saying they'll bend and ill be waiting for replacement parts. The Timber Ninja C1's caught my eye last night and rep told me they've fixed the squeaking issue in the cold but without seeing them idk how id do with less standoff. I really liked the ideal of OOAL shikars paired with backwoods mobile gears Knaider Swaider for them just don't like the ideal of unfolding the sticks at the tree and making noise.

My main reasons for upgrading are an easier packable stick that I can get back deep with and get up as quiet as possible. I just want to get stuff ordered early because I know how long it can take to receive some options and get enough good reps prior to the season.

Thanks for the input,

I may wait until I get the chance to try some other options in person which idk how ill do that being in Vermont until late may when ill most likely be moving to Wisconsin. I may order 1 stick of each I like and resell the ones I don't use. I like the EWOs other than the packability, I like beasts mainly for how good everyone says they dig in but dislike how hard they're to order and scared of the people saying they'll bend and ill be waiting for replacement parts. The Timber Ninja C1's caught my eye last night and rep told me they've fixed the squeaking issue in the cold but without seeing them idk how id do with less standoff. I really liked the ideal of OOAL shikars paired with backwoods mobile gears Knaider Swaider for them just don't like the ideal of unfolding the sticks at the tree and making noise.

My main reasons for upgrading are an easier packable stick that I can get back deep with and get up as quiet as possible. I just want to get stuff ordered early because I know how long it can take to receive some options and get enough good reps prior to the season.
It sounds like you are waiting for the tetherd 1 sticks or one of a few options yet to launch.
They all have pros and cons.
1 stick is by design easily packable.
I dont think ill be youre way to ski this year, otherwise id offer to let you try mine.

It sounds like you are waiting for the tetherd 1 sticks or one of a few options yet to launch.
They all have pros and cons.
1 stick is by design easily packable.
I dont think ill be youre way to ski this year, otherwise id offer to let you try mine.
I just watched aerial assaults review and that eliminated the tethrd ones from my list of potential options. They're just too loud for me. I cant imagine a cap and roughing the coating will fix them that much. The catalysts may be an option though.

Check out the OOAL FXD sticks. Where you moving to in WI?

Attachments

• 3C660504-CC64-4C5E-A8BF-2D8BFB194EB4.jpeg
    3C660504-CC64-4C5E-A8BF-2D8BFB194EB4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
I'm also open to other stick recommendations as I thought I was 100% getting beast minis until I saw how many people say EWO is better (also don't want stuff bending midseason and being SOL.)

Since you mentioned bending there was a thread where the EWO lightweight standoffs bent. Not sure what the issue was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the OOAL FXD sticks. Where you moving to in WI?
I’ll be moving to just outside Milwaukee. I know I’ll probably be commuting a bit for good hunting but it has to be better than Vermont . I liked those sticks but I really wish they were compatible with the backwoods outdoors aiders that work on the foldable ones.

So what don't u like about the sticks u got
Mainly noise. I’m using hawk minis currently and if I were to keep using them I’d have mod the crap out of them to get them quiet. I also wish they had a nicer tree bracket. I have them setup with Amsteel double aiders that attach to the bottom step and I like them most days but would rather have something that stays on my foot. They were a good beginner option but now that I know I’ll be saddle hunting a lot and will get my monies worth I want to get a more top of the line stick.

Nice. I’m 30 mins south of Milwaukee. I’m looking to add cable aiders from EWO to my FXD sticks, but it takes some specific Allen set screws to be able to add them. Also grabbbed a Versa aider from Backwoods that I haven’t tried out. Would prefer to use the cable aiders, but I’ll give them both a shot. Less stuff I need to do when at the tree the better.

Nice. I’m 30 mins south of Milwaukee. I’m looking to add cable aiders from EWO to my FXD sticks, but it takes some specific Allen set screws to be able to add them. Also grabbbed a Versa aider from Backwoods that I haven’t tried out. Would prefer to use the cable aiders, but I’ll give them both a shot. Less stuff I need to do when at the tree the better.
Nice, do you hunt public land?

When I asked the Timber Ninja guys about versa aiders they said they cant recommend it because Versa buttons aren't tested for that kind of force. Has me a little worried about it now.

Nice, do you hunt public land?

When I asked the Timber Ninja guys about versa aiders they said they cant recommend it because Versa buttons aren't tested for that kind of force. Has me a little worried about it now.

I’m a bit of a newbie, last year was my first year hunting public and I did all still/stalk hunting. Only hit two different spots in Kenosha county. Plan to scout more public locations this offseason.

What material are those made? Is it aluminum? I tried searching but couldn't find the answer. and what do the 22" version weigh?

I shot Matt a text to ask what they are made of...I’ll update when I hear back. Another nice part about OOAL...you call their number and you talk to the head man himself. Easy to get ahold of, but call don’t email. They don’t reply as quickly (or haven’t for me) via email.

I’d guess since the 17” sticks weigh 24oz the 22” sticks would weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 2lbs each. Maybe a little less?

I’ll be moving to just outside Milwaukee. I know I’ll probably be commuting a bit for good hunting but it has to be better than Vermont . I liked those sticks but I really wish they were compatible with the backwoods outdoors aiders that work on the foldable ones.
Excellent! Another SE Wisconsinite. I live west of Milwaukee myself in Sussex and Hunt exclusively public land.

Excellent! Another SE Wisconsinite. I live west of Milwaukee myself in Sussex and Hunt exclusively public land.
Did a little Army NG training up in Sussex. I’m a pretty fresh hunter and this year will be my first in the saddle. Excited to get lots of scouting in this off-season.

Back