• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Expensive Hiking Boots?

HunterBob

So I'm always a thrifty guy looking for the best deal I can get on something. Every year I have ended up having to buy new hiking boots as my old ones have separated, ripped, lost their water resistance, or just plain fell apart on me. I've never bought any hiking boots over $60, but I've started to wonder if spending a little more to get something that will last might actually be worth it. For reference, I live in the south and am looking for warm weather, waterproof hiking boots that can handle the rigors of hiking off trail, going through shallow water, and are also breathable so my feet aren't burning up most of the year. I put many miles on my boots in the woods and hills.

So, I'd love to hear from others when it comes to buying more expensive boots. Here are my questions:

1. What did you buy and how much did it cost?
2. How long did they last?
3. Did you feel that the cost and longevity made it worthwhile to continue buying said boots?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds ro this.

I have 2 pairs of Salomon GTX , I’m breaking in the newer pair now. I’ve hunted/ hiked with the first pair for four seasons & no major signs of wear besides normal use ( should get 2 more years or more) I got them here off the classifieds for around $200. The new ones I bought were $230. I’m really satisfied with the return on investment, plus they are my go to hunting boot for most of the season. I like the stiff instep for climbing & all day saddle sits.
I’m sure something similar would be on par with these. Just my experience.

I have 2 pair of Merrells (same model) that I love. No longer make them though. They are ‘waterproof’ but being so makes my foot warm.

Following because I am interested to see if anyone has a waterproof boot that isn’t too warm. That waterproof liner or whatever just doesn’t allow for great breathability

A middle of the road option to maybe consider would be the Irish Setter vapor treks. Dont remember what they cost but they were cheaper than my Crispi's. They were used a lot the first couple of seasons both here and in CO. Still have them and they are still in good shape. Also have the Irish Setter lace up snake boots and they have seen a crap ton of use over the 7-8 years I have had them. They need to be replaced. My current hikers are Crispi Valdres. There is not a single thing I can think of that I wished was better about that boot for my feet. They are 3 years old now and probably in the 250-300 mile range and hardly look used. The problem with boot recommendations is everyone's foot is different. You will have to find the right boot for your foot but a higher end boot is definitely an upgrade worth making imo. Gotta take care of the feet to stay in the game.

A middle of the road option to maybe consider would be the Irish Setter vapor treks. Dont remember what they cost but they were cheaper than my Crispi's. They were used a lot the first couple of seasons both here and in CO. Still have them and they are still in good shape. Also have the Irish Setter lace up snake boots and they have seen a crap ton of use over the 7-8 years I have had them. They need to be replaced. My current hikers are Crispi Valdres. There is not a single thing I can think of that I wished was better about that boot for my feet. They are 3 years old now and probably in the 250-300 mile range and hardly look used. The problem with boot recommendations is everyone's foot is different. You will have to find the right boot for your foot but a higher end boot is definitely an upgrade worth making imo. Gotta take care of the feet to stay in the game.

I had looked into the Irish Setter Vaportreks but they seem to get mixed reviews online. Have you had any personal experience with these?

I'm stingy too so I reluctantly bought a pair of Crispi Nevada 3 years ago for around $350. I have about 100-150 miles on them and they only keep getting better every time I wear them. I literally look forward to putting them on. I don't know if I could possibly wear them out in my lifetime but if I do I will not hesitate at all to buy another pair.

I bought a pair of Oboz Bridgers over the summer and I have been very happy with them. They are waterproof as long as you don't go crazy and have been very comfortable. I climbed 2TC all season in them and hunted out of them most season. I am a ring of steps guy and did several all day sits on rings of steps in them. I routinely do 3 to 4 mile hikes scouting. I believe they were in the $160.00 category.

Lathrop and sons boots. I use this in the early, mid to late season...then I switch in late season to my 1200g boots. The 200g are ok thoughout the mid to late season above 35 degrees.

Cost of this boot was 500 or so. However standing long periods or using the support of the boots to stand on my platform was a huge difference then my 120.00 boots from redhead or my danner boots.

I had looked into the Irish Setter Vaportreks but they seem to get mixed reviews online. Have you had any personal experience with these?
They work great for me if I am on flat ground or in rolling hills. They didnt work as well in the mountains because the toe box is just a touch wide for my foot and I would get hot spots if I didnt tape up. Other than that, they have been a fine boot for me. Still have them.

Lowa renegade gtx, my first "high end" boot (quotes because they are on the cheaper/lower side of the high end spectrum) but seem comfortable enough, may get better insoles. Found a pair "used" from REI for a great deal, still going strong, may look for another pair in off-season in a stiffer boot, finding a deal being the priority as I don't NEED another pair yet. After owning one pair of good boots though they are definitely a need not a want.

I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorn boots back in 2008 from Cabela's. I think I paid 160 for them. They are still in great shape.

Lathrop and sons boots. I use this in the early, mid to late season...then I switch in late season to my 1200g boots. The 200g are ok thoughout the mid to late season above 35 degrees.

Cost of this boot was 500 or so. However standing long periods or using the support of the boots to stand on my platform was a huge difference then my 120.00 boots from redhead or my danner boots.

I used the Mountain Hunter Warm (with custom synergy footbeds) this season as well and they are impressive, down to 30. But they leave me wanting a 400g boot of the same quality for the colder sits. They deal Zamberlan and I wonder about the Smilodon/Mastadon. I'll probably add the uninsulated Encompass if they have another sale on in-stock boots.

Keen, great boots!

I have some 450 toe 350 upper Keen Warm hunting boots. I don't see that Keen is marketing boots specifically for hunting anymore, too bad.

For the money, my Keen boots have served me well. I've worn them on sub zero hunts and got by. Still wear them for flat land spots on cold days from time to time.

They are no where near the quality of L&S boots, nor do they offer similar performance for mountainous terrain.

But for a casual hunting boot, or flat terrain, they are great.

I haven't tried them, but looks like Oboz is in that same sector of the boot marketplace.

The middle of the road boots (keen, merrel, lower level danners) fit my feet better than the expensive ones

espensive boots often have some secret fitting or stiffness sauce

all I need is a normal shaped boot with a big toe box

I treat boots as semi disposable

I just want the waterproofing and soles to last 2 seasons

plus to try on a nice pair I have to either drive a few hours one way or keeping sending them back through the mail

Merrell Moab II's for me. I bought them right around when Covid was beginning a thing, so they were basically the only boot I could find that fit me. Right around $160, and I love them. Very comfy, right from the beginning. Probably have around 200-250ish miles on them (mostly mountains) and they're holding up great.

I used to use danner. I rolled my ankle no less than 12 times on one elk hunt. I have been using Kennetreks for about 7 years. For me there is difference and worth the cost. However, if you are able to use a lesser boot, do it. Everyone is different and boots are the same.

Another Merrell wearer here, until that link to the Crispi’s was posted a few weeks ago. Those are the nicest hiking boots I’ve purchased thus far in my lifetime. I usually wear leftover work boots or rubber/insulated boots when the weather calls for it.

Back