• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

External frame pack question

I’m looking to put together my walking in package.
I already own (3) full size LW sticks. I want to be able to basically walk hands free (especially in the dark) since I typically scan with my thermal monocular as I’m walking in.

I can’t seem to strap the sticks on my current backpack. I’ve looked at a lot of frame packs recently. Can you actually hang this in the tree? What about a quick disconnect feature for the bag and leave the frame on ground? Input is desired. Thx

I've been using my kuiu frame pack + 1850 day bag this season. I can hang mine in the tree no problem. Admittedly its a little larger than my pack from last year but not by much. It also has the added benefit of a dedicated holster for my sidearm on the kidney straps. This might be a bit overkill for most but it serves as double duty as my elk hunting rig (with a larger bag) so I can easily justify the cost.

I sometimes use my packrabbit frame if I am going in super far so I can just quarter the deer in the woods, it hangs in the tree just fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I've been using my kuiu frame pack + 1850 day bag this season. I can hang mine in the tree no problem. Admittedly its a little larger than my pack from last year but not by much. It also has the added benefit of a dedicated holster for my sidearm on the kidney straps. This might be a bit overkill for most but it serves as double duty as my elk hunting rig (with a larger bag) so I can easily justify the cost.

Do you attach sticks to your pack?

I run a Kifaru DT1 on my backpack hunts. Man that thing will haul more weight than I can carry, if needed. Compresses down next to nothing in day mode. Then I have the ability to pack my meat out in it also.

Do you attach sticks to your pack?
Yes/no. I run single stick so it's fairly trivial to lash it down. With the way the straps work on the 1850 bag I can see it getting a little cumbersome to lash down 3 to 4 sticks. If I was going to use multiple sticks the 2200 and up bags would work better.

I run a Kifaru DT1 on my backpack hunts. Man that thing will haul more weight than I can carry, if needed. Compresses down next to nothing in day mode. Then I have the ability to pack my meat out in it also.
Yeah that's been my biggest motivator thus far for using my frame pack.

Back