• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Extra safety precautions - Lineman's belt and tether

Sackman

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to just leave my linemans belt clipped to the dedicated loops on the mantis and clip it into my tether biner but leave it loose? It keeps it out of the way as well as acts as a back up bridge.
I also saw a video where someone tied a loop on the end of the tether so it doubled as a stopper knot and also allows you to clip it into the biner in case your prusik/ascender were to fail.
Even with the loop and linemans belt clipped into the biner with the bridge, it did not seem to affect the performance of the bridge sliding back and forth as I moved around the tree. Also, by daisy chaining the slack at the end of the tether before clipping the loop in, it seems to keep everything nice and tidy. Is there anything I should be concerned with by doing this?

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to just leave my linemans belt clipped to the dedicated loops on the mantis and clip it into my tether biner but leave it loose? It keeps it out of the way as well as acts as a back up bridge.
I also saw a video where someone tied a loop on the end of the tether so it doubled as a stopper knot and also allows you to clip it into the biner in case your prusik/ascender were to fail.
Even with the loop and linemans belt clipped into the biner with the bridge, it did not seem to affect the performance of the bridge sliding back and forth as I moved around the tree. Also, by daisy chaining the slack at the end of the tether before clipping the loop in, it seems to keep everything nice and tidy. Is there anything I should be concerned with by doing this?

Not a bad idea only thing that would concern me is having to open tether carabiner to get linesman belt ready for descent. I guess you could fish it through if possible

Not a bad idea only thing that would concern me is having to open tether carabiner to get linesman belt ready for descent. I guess you could fish it through if possible
Right. There is that second with the open carabiner. Even though your bridge is still tight against the bottom of the biner, i guess it is a second of vulnerability. It gives me a lot more confidence the rest of the time up there though. Or like you said, I could eliminate that second by fishing it through.

I may be paranoid but I also leave my LB on while hunting from my tether. Just gives me a little more security

Not too bad. Of course it does limit some. Somebody on here said they ran their LB through the pruisic on their tether. Makes more sense. Havent had a chance to try it.

I’ve been taking my lineman’s rope off and using it as a 2nd tether hooked on a center loop in my rock harness, l tether it waist high right above my pack hanger so it doesn’t slide down because it’s not tight.

Back