• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Extra tether

jfinn

What do you do with the tag end, of the tether rope once you are up at hunting height? I have a few trees that are smaller and I have a good amount of rope to manage.

myself and some others will tie something like an Alpine Butterfly or figure 8 and clip it back into your bridge biner as a safety backup. Gets it out of the way and its an extra attachment to your tether.

What do you do with the tag end, of the tether rope once you are up at hunting height? I have a few trees that are smaller and I have a good amount of rope to manage.

1. i have a figure 8 on a bight tied on the end of the tether, it is clipped to my tether's carabiner where the bridge goes, this is case my friction hitch gives way......i won't fall to the ground but rather to the end of my tether (which would still stink bad)....this end loop is clipped to my carabiner at all times while climbing or hangin

2. even doing 1 above, I still have several feet of a loop hanging, there are fancy knots for this but i just tie a series of overhand knots going down this excess...if my friction hitch were to slide, it would stop at the first one....i tie as many knots as i can fit.....the simple overhand on a bight is somewhat underrated.....a friction hitch isn't going to slam into and untie 5 of them in a row

edit: i would probably be better off tying an alpine butterfly at height, carefully clipping this into my 'biner as well....and then maybe do the overhands to take up the slack after that.....this way if my friction hitch breaks while hanging i'll only fall a few inches.....just gotta be careful messing with your carabiners at height, makes me nervous to even unlock it when i'm 20 feet up

I make a loose loop and tie it up shorter and let it sit there. Putting the slack in my dump pouch was too much of a hassle. I guess you could just use a shorter tether

I'll tie a stopper knot - usually alpine butterfly - and daisy-chain the excess. Usually tuck it into something near my waistline but sometimes I'll just let it hang.

Back