• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Extreme Temp Changes In The Same Sit

HuntNorthEast

Rattled that "Search" feature once again and this time, no results at all.

I walked outside this morning to a brisk 49 degrees after yesterday being in the upper 80's and it triggered a thought. Last season (early season) I had many sits where it was high 30's before daylight and by the time I climbed down later in the morning it would be as high as the low 80's (some days). Now for those of you that hunt the Northern portion of the country, or experience this in other parts of the country/south, what do you do to counter the effects this takes on the body? I know even when the temps rise, sometimes that cold is set in DEEP and takes a while to shake out, even when moving. Then, all of the sudden, the sweat and overheating starts.

I find that going in with less clothes on for thew afternoon sit is simple. Add more clothes such as a hoodie or coat as temps drop, is way easier to manage your core temp, and often times you just start to feel the SLIGHT chill come closing time. Sweat is your enemy. Not just for scent control reasons, but for body temp reasons. Sweat is the body's way of cooling, as we all know. Cotton is the nasty co-conspirator to sweat. Cotton stays wet with sweat for long periods of time and saps your body temp away FAST.

I would like to hear some of your thoughts and processes on how you guys/girls counter the weather in these cases! Below is how I have done it in the past.

I have found that brisk walks to the stand are easiest with a layer of under armor or similar material closest to the skin, covered by just my base layer (FirstLite merino wool). Once I am set up and cooled off, I pull my hoodie out of my bag and throw that on. Generally speaking, with just those few simple layers I stay pretty warm and sweat free between 38 and 65 degrees for up to 6 hours at a time. As for the rest, I run my merino wool bottoms and a VERY thin camo over layer pant from Cabelas. Regular socks, Lacrosse knee highs, thin gloves (to break up skin), camo bug net gaiter, and a camo beanie (fleece) finish it off.

As for those nasty, stale, ten degree temp change hot days?! Under armor and those thin Cableas camo pants, Chippewas, gaiter, thin gloves and I'm done. Take my time getting in and climbing. Try my best not to sweat or over heat, and kill whitetails!
HuntNorthEast1.png

Not much to add to what you said bud, try to stay cool and not sweat on the walk in. I’ll give my self a few minutes cool down at the tree. Then later up and sit. Strip it all off for the walk out. My biggest battle that I’m still working on is my feet. Long walks in insulated boots means sweat and cold quick. I’ve tried light socks with insulated boots, heavy socks with uninsulated. Haven’t honed in on the perfect option. May pack in some extras and change socks at/near the tree, have a ziplock for the sweaty ones..

You’re in colder weather than me, I’m only up in Midwest a couple times a season so my experimentation/tweek time is limited.

If you got the foot secret I’m all ears.

And I do have the Arctic shield booties, promising but I’d rather not carry them if I can find a better option

Spencer

Not much to add to what you said bud, try to stay cool and not sweat on the walk in. I’ll give my self a few minutes cool down at the tree. Then later up and sit. Strip it all off for the walk out. My biggest battle that I’m still working on is my feet. Long walks in insulated boots means sweat and cold quick. I’ve tried light socks with insulated boots, heavy socks with uninsulated. Haven’t honed in on the perfect option. May pack in some extras and change socks at/near the tree, have a ziplock for the sweaty ones..

You’re in colder weather than me, I’m only up in Midwest a couple times a season so my experimentation/tweek time is limited.

And I do have the Arctic shield booties, promising but I’d rather not carry them if I can find a better option

Spencer
Deodorant and uninsulated boots. I've hunted down into the teens with uninsulated rubber boots and been fine. Deodorant on feet, nylon socks under lightweight wool ones, and keep your core warm so you don't start shutting down blood flow to extremities to keep it warm.

Spencer
I had the same problem with my feet. I found vapor barrier socks were the answer for my sweaty feet. They still sweat but it stays in the vapor barrier and my wool socks and boots stay dry and keep my feet SO MUCH WARMER.

Spencer
Changing socks once at the tree makes a huge difference!

Spencer
The vapor barriers I use came from warmlite.com

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into all of them and see what works best for me

Spencer

Wouldn't a couple of Walmart bags do the same thing? I don't see where keeping your feet wet is a good thing....
Yes, I used to use bread sacks in the 50's when we played in the snow and made forts for snowball fights. Same principle, keep the wet away from the insulation and your feet stay warmer and they are going to be wet anyway if your feet sweat as much as mine do. Wet and warm is just better than wet and cold and the plus is no boot drying after the hunt. Don't know if I've explained it very well but try it if you have a problem with cold feet.

I have no idea if this is going to work... But I am going to wear darn tuff socks like usual in my uninsulated lowa tibets, and when I get to the tree slip a couple toe warmers in there, those disposable things, take them back out for the walk out, I don’t sit all day or anything anyways, feet are the biggest pain for me, I walk in a long ways.

Deodorant and uninsulated boots. I've hunted down into the teens with uninsulated rubber boots and been fine. Deodorant on feet, nylon socks under lightweight wool ones, and keep your core warm so you don't start shutting down blood flow to extremities to keep it warm.
Exactly this @shwacker and also, if I face sweaty feet I change my socks. No matter what I always have a back up pair.

Yes, I used to use bread sacks in the 50's when we played in the snow and made forts for snowball fights. Same principle, keep the wet away from the insulation and your feet stay warmer and they are going to be wet anyway if your feet sweat as much as mine do. Wet and warm is just better than wet and cold and the plus is no boot drying after the hunt. Don't know if I've explained it very well but try it if you have a problem with cold feet.
Exactly how a winter wet suit works, and I've surfed in February before...

You pretty much did a good job, I'll add what I do. Merino wool is tops for heat and sweat transport. I wear merino socks and underwear. I check the weather before I head and out if I observe drastic temp swings like you described I'll pack accordingly. That's why I run a little bit larger pack, so I can carry in a jacket and vest. November here in VA can sometimes see 20 degree temp swings and during rut I'm taking no chances. I always wear lightweight base layer bottoms cuz my legs don't get cold but they do sweat. Top layer I adjust accordingly. I always just wear base layer on the walk in and pack my layers. It usually takes me a good couple hours to cool off. The trick is to don the layer when you get comfortable, then zip and tuck in as needed. If you wait until you feel chilled you're screwed as your core temp has fallen too far and you'll soon shiver in an attempt to bring your core temp back up.

You pretty much did a good job, I'll add what I do. Merino wool is tops for heat and sweat transport. I wear merino socks and underwear. I check the weather before I head and out if I observe drastic temp swings like you described I'll pack accordingly. That's why I run a little bit larger pack, so I can carry in a jacket and vest. November here in VA can sometimes see 20 degree temp swings and during rut I'm taking no chances. I always wear lightweight base layer bottoms cuz my legs don't get cold but they do sweat. Top layer I adjust accordingly. I always just wear base layer on the walk in and pack my layers. It usually takes me a good couple hours to cool off. The trick is to don the layer when you get comfortable, then zip and tuck in as needed. If you wait until you feel chilled you're screwed as your core temp has fallen too far and you'll soon shiver in an attempt to bring your core temp back up.
Exactly! It's interesting to hear what everyone uses and how they use it...

Rattled that "Search" feature once again and this time, no results at all.

I walked outside this morning to a brisk 49 degrees after yesterday being in the upper 80's and it triggered a thought. Last season (early season) I had many sits where it was high 30's before daylight and by the time I climbed down later in the morning it would be as high as the low 80's (some days). Now for those of you that hunt the Northern portion of the country, or experience this in other parts of the country/south, what do you do to counter the effects this takes on the body? I know even when the temps rise, sometimes that cold is set in DEEP and takes a while to shake out, even when moving. Then, all of the sudden, the sweat and overheating starts.

I find that going in with less clothes on for thew afternoon sit is simple. Add more clothes such as a hoodie or coat as temps drop, is way easier to manage your core temp, and often times you just start to feel the SLIGHT chill come closing time. Sweat is your enemy. Not just for scent control reasons, but for body temp reasons. Sweat is the body's way of cooling, as we all know. Cotton is the nasty co-conspirator to sweat. Cotton stays wet with sweat for long periods of time and saps your body temp away FAST.

I would like to hear some of your thoughts and processes on how you guys/girls counter the weather in these cases! Below is how I have done it in the past.

I have found that brisk walks to the stand are easiest with a layer of under armor or similar material closest to the skin, covered by just my base layer (FirstLite merino wool). Once I am set up and cooled off, I pull my hoodie out of my bag and throw that on. Generally speaking, with just those few simple layers I stay pretty warm and sweat free between 38 and 65 degrees for up to 6 hours at a time. As for the rest, I run my merino wool bottoms and a VERY thin camo over layer pant from Cabelas. Regular socks, Lacrosse knee highs, thin gloves (to break up skin), camo bug net gaiter, and a camo beanie (fleece) finish it off.

As for those nasty, stale, ten degree temp change hot days?! Under armor and those thin Cableas camo pants, Chippewas, gaiter, thin gloves and I'm done. Take my time getting in and climbing. Try my best not to sweat or over heat, and kill whitetails!
View attachment 33084

@HuntNorthEast - I’ve used a merino wool base layer for a long time and it does a good job if you’re otherwise lightly clothed for the walk in. Once on stand, allowing perspiration to dissipate some and adding layers from my pack seems to do the trick. Nothing novel here - everyone seems to figure this out.

After last season, however, @ricky racer mentioned the importance of vapor permeability to thermal management, and Wiggys.com. Just to try something different, I Checked out their website and purchased a pair of Wiggys fishnet long johns. I used them in Feb, Mar, and Apr during post-season scouting in CT.

It’s amazing how much better the thermal management is when your perspiration isn’t absorbed by your base layer, laying against your skin. You don’t have to add and remove layers as much with changes in your activity level or the ambient temperature.

If you struggle with thermal management, give a pair of Wiggys fishnet long johns a try. They may just be your new favorite base layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@HuntNorthEast - I’ve used a merino wool base layer for a long time and it does a good job if you’re otherwise lightly clothed for the walk in. Once on stand, allowing perspiration to dissipate some and adding layers from my pack seems to do the trick. Nothing novel here - everyone seems to figure this out.

After last season, however, @ricky racer mentioned the importance of vapor permeability to thermal management, and Wiggys.com. Just to try something different, I Checked out their website and purchased a pair of Wiggys fishnet long johns. I used them in Feb, Mar, and Apr during post-season scouting in CT.

It’s amazing how much better the thermal management is when your perspiration isn’t absorbed by your base layer, laying against your skin. You don’t have to add and remove layers as much with changes in your activity level or the ambient temperature.

If you struggle with thermal management, give a pair of Wiggys fishnet long johns a try. They may just be your new favorite base layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder what my ol lady will think of me in fishnet... :tearsofjoy: Disturbing image..

Back