• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fall arrest systems

swaney001

This is my first year using a saddle. I love everything about it. I'm not concerned about climbing to hunting height. What bothers me is what if my equipment fails (saddle, ropeman, rope tether, etc...). For the hunters that use a fall arrest system, what do you use? What is the reason you bought that system?

Thank you, Gary

Gary, I hunt with a homemade sitdrag. First, I find it more comfortable than saddles. Second, is redundancy. I have a rock climbing harness as a backup. Once at height, I have a prussic on my tether that attaches to the carabiner on my harness. Eliminates the risk of bridge and sitdrag failure. Only single point of failure is my tether.

I have used an autoblock knot on my tether for stand hunting, and will be ordering a longer accessory cord to autoblock my tether on my saddle this season. I’m not stoked about using 2 carabiners on my bridge though, so I may use a webbing sling to tie the autoblock right into my bridge on my weak side. Undecided as of yet. I’ve seen some guys tie their tether’s tag-end back into the carabiner, but I (ignorance perhaps) don’t really understand how that helps if the carabiner fails.

Back