• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Falling with slack in your line

Zacrowsl

GIVEAWAY
YouTube link
‼️Saddles & rock climbing harness users‼️
‼️stand and saddle hunters‼️
When 1 sticking or hunting from a tree stand, slack is inevitable. Saddles and rock climbing harnesses aren't exactly forgiving when falling....but they can be! Here's how!
This probably isn't my best video, but I think it's one of the most important i've made! Share with anyone you think could use one!

Could use a knowledgeable opinion on a product like this: https://www.edelrid.de/en/sports/energy-absorbers/absorber-sling.html

Seems someone had posted something similar in the past if not the exact same thing, but I couldn’t find it. Seems comparable to a screamer but possibly suitable as a sole tether to a tree strap.

I’m mainly looking for use with a rch on a stand, so not sure if the 15kn and fall factor 2 rating are sufficient. I’m interpreting the note about via ferrata to mean this shouldn’t be the anchor on a wall, but I suspect others would know better.

Here is a very clear example of someone getting information from the internet, giving the impression it’s his own, being completely and utterly unqualified to be using the language and giving the impressions he’s giving, and monetizing the collective negative impact on the hunting community.

If I were the admin on this site, I’d remove it immediately, and offer strong advice to have the user remove the video from YouTube, or at the very least have him make a disclaimer at beginning and end of the video that he is completely unqualified to give his OPINION on this topic.

If I were YouTube admin, I’d demonetize this immediately.

To anyone watching this video- virtually of the statements made here are matters of unqualified opinion, and nowhere close to settled, much less even studied facts. Be careful please.

someone is going to die.

In fact, I’ll make a public offer - if the maker of this video can give me proof of rough idea of how much money he would’ve made having it monetized, I will match what he would have made up to 200.00 to have it removed right now.

Here is a very clear example of someone getting information from the internet, giving the impression it’s his own, being completely and utterly unqualified to be using the language and giving the impressions he’s giving, and monetizing the collective negative impact on the hunting community.

If I were the admin on this site, I’d remove it immediately, and offer strong advice to have the user remove the video from YouTube, or at the very least have him make a disclaimer at beginning and end of the video that he is completely unqualified to give his OPINION on this topic.

If I were YouTube admin, I’d demonetize this immediately.

To anyone watching this video- virtually of the statements made here are matters of unqualified opinion, and nowhere close to settled, much less even studied facts. Be careful please.

someone is going to die.
I second everything you are saying here. Again I reached out to a manufacturer of screamers and would be happy to attach their response.. (didn’t we all just do this in a 12 + page post lol) I would be glad to reach out to Yates as well and post their response. Screamers are not intended to reduce force on us, they are intended to reduce force generated on rock anchors and they are not to be loaded prior to introduction of dynamic load. Even worse in the video claims that it would reduce a 6kN fall down to 2kN on a static line is ridiculous. And the idea that there would be no harm from a fall in a saddle (which is not at all intended for fall arrest) is flat out crazy. Please for the love of all of our safety do research before believing everything you read on the internet guys! Kyle is absolutely right, and we just had this same discussion like 2 weeks ago on another post :sweatsmile:

I said specifically in the video. It's something I'm not saying it's something you should use. But makes me feel better. And I can tell you specifically that there is a saddle that's patent pending with the saddle in the bridge and bridge loops.. but hey....your welcome to educate us. I'm all ears.

Where is that stinking popcorn eating emoji!?!?
popcorn-eating-popcorn.gif

I said specifically in the video. It's something I'm not saying it's something you should use. But makes me feel better. And I can tell you specifically that there is a saddle that's patent pending with the saddle in the bridge and bridge loops.. but hey....your welcome to educate us. I'm all ears.

I removed all of my posts concerning climbing equipment and climbing methods. I made a post that looked EXACTLY like your video from a gear, and concept perspective. With one key difference. It was a post with the intention of pushing a cutting edge, and that intention was clear. It was clear I was uninformed, and had no qualification to provide any opinions(I didn’t) or statements on the safety or use to anyone else(I didn’t). Even still I came to the crystal clear conclusion i was going to have a direct impact on someone else’s decision making with their gear, and potentially hurt themselves.

I never intended to make money off of common folks’ ignorance. This video is explicitly doing so.

Im not making a moral judgment on you.

I’m just pointing out to everyone consuming your content, the reality of what’s happening.

In fact, I’ll make a public offer - if the maker of this video can give me proof of rough idea of how much money he would’ve made having it monetized, I will match what he would have made up to 200.00 to have it removed right now.
I don't want your money. if screamers are dangerous to use i'll gladly take it down. I've never stated they should make you superman. If your telling me that there is no shock absorbing benefit or it's more dangerous I'd be happy to listen. And no this is not their intended use. But half of what we use is also being used outside of it's intended use

Yes we all saw Tethrd’s patent pending shock absorbing bridge. How come they are not producing this saddle the way they are producing the “patent pending” shape of the phantom or the comfort channels? My guess is they applied for it to hold their spot in case it gets adopted somehow by ASTM BUT saddles aren’t intended for fall arrest. And any small dynamic event such as swinging a little too hard could activate the break away stitching. This isn’t from me this is from a manufacturer of screamers! I believe a dynamic bridge would absorb as much if not more shock than a screamer that is being used inappropriately. I also believe a dynamic tether would do the same. So that “patent pending” saddle isn’t something I would use as a form of safety guidance, but that’s just me personally. As you said it makes you feel better. But the information you shared in the video gives the appearance that you know what you’re talking about, and per a manufacturer of screamers, that is not correct. In fact they suggest we all use a real full body fall harness with a real fall arresting lanyard while introducing slack to our system instead lol

Could use a knowledgeable opinion on a product like this: https://www.edelrid.de/en/sports/energy-absorbers/absorber-sling.html

Seems someone had posted something similar in the past if not the exact same thing, but I couldn’t find it. Seems comparable to a screamer but possibly suitable as a sole tether to a tree strap.

I’m mainly looking for use with a rch on a stand, so not sure if the 15kn and fall factor 2 rating are sufficient. I’m interpreting the note about via ferrata to mean this shouldn’t be the anchor on a wall, but I suspect others would know better.
That is a shock absorbing sling. It’s made to do what other sock absorbing lanyards do which is connect to a safety anchor point and to a harness and absorb shock during a fall. You said you are using a RCH and a tree stand, would you be using this as your actual tether or would you be using this as a back up point that would only see a load during a fall?

Back