• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fed up with the climber

ThomasHemlock

New member here. I'm completely sick of lugging the climber around and making so much noise climbing. I've been considering getting into a saddle for a while now, and after a miserable day with the climber yesterday I'm going all in and ordering a Mantis. Still researching climbing methods but I'm leaning toward Wild Edge Stepps. I'll be diggin' into the forum to learn as much as possible. I'm open to any and all suggestions y'all may have for a new-to-the-saddle hunter...

I'm in Locust Grove, Virginia. I hunt a lot of public land (State and Federal) and hunt the military bases in the area a lot.

Welcome from Hanover VA. First year in the saddle as well. I guess I am about 5 months ahead of you. I choose the Mantis for the saddle and WE steps with their aider for my climbing method. I now have a 5 step aider/etrier I am going to try. I will be glad to answer any questions I can about my set-up.

Welcome from Northern VA, don't think you're to far if you want to meet up, I'd be happy, we had a small group of Northern VA hunters and we did a small shoot a few times, we need to do that again, lol. Anyway, welcome!

Howdy Thomas. My saddle should have arrived yesterday with other odds and ends filtering in this week. I'm not too far away in Scottsville and likely hitting up some of the same land you are, let me know if you want to meet up some time.

New WMA just opened to the NW of the lake called Oakley, haven't been yet.

Interesting...I've been going to the lake Striper fishing for close to a decade now but, have never hunted in VA. I am thinking about doing some scouting down there this summer. Hunting in the morning and striper fishing in the evening would be an awesome fall weekend.

New WMA just opened to the NW of the lake called Oakley, haven't been yet.

I've been eyeing Oakley Forest too. Haven't been out there yet though. I'm putting in for a quota on the Merrimac WMA on the backside of Quantico next year too. I hunt near the border on the base side and there are some nice ones out there.

Back