• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Feet Warm? What warmers?

DanielB89

How do you guys keep your feet warm? The problem with me is sweat.. my feet sweat so much. I have yet to find a way to keep them from getting chilled. I use artic shield booties, and they definitely help, but they can get pretty chilled throughout a hunt.

I'm looking at some possible warmers. I currently use hot hands, which I like, but I was curious as to how some of the electronic warmers work.

Anyone have any success with them?

With the hand warmers being about $30/box, I figured I could invest in something that was reusable.

Last edited:
Quality wool socks. Your boots are important, but your socks are of utmost. I love Cabelas Ultimax.

Change socks when you get up in the tree. Just started doing it a couple of weeks ago and I will be doing it from now on.

I just wear some BS socks on the way in, get settled in and swap to the good socks.

I was wearing non-insulated rubber boots and it was about 13 degrees and felt great.

Change socks when you get up in the tree. Just started doing it a couple of weeks ago and I will be doing it from now on.

I just wear some BS socks on the way in, get settled in and swap to the good socks.

I was wearing non-insulated rubber boots and it was about 13 degrees and felt great.

so you change socks while standing on the platform?

I'd hate to have to climb down and pick up a boot.

Yes.
I had the same thought when I almost dropped a boot, I’m gonna put a tiny paracord loop on them to hang them while I swap out the socks.

I wear thin socks on the walk in (uninsulated / low insulated boots)

I change to (1) thin and (1) thick (smart wool) at the base of the tree
- would really like to try Bison or Muskox

I put on Arctic Shield Boot Blankets

If really cold, I'll attach a hand warmer to the toe box and then put on boot blankets

This process has helped me more than anything I've tried. Heavily insulated boots are worse, for me, because I walk so much to access my locations.

Ive tried the electronic warmers and have some from thermic i believe. They work but I felt you have to keep on the highest setting to feel the heat and they dont last forever. They add extra weight too. Also tried thermacell but threw them out stopped working after a season.

Last couple of seasons I am wearing mid insulated boots and using toe warmers on top of the foot inside boot. Works well but im gonna start changing socks as well as I have same problem with sweat. From my experience- boots that say over 1000gram of thinsulate feel the same inside as boots with less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use masking tape to tape hot hands to the top of my socks before I put my uninsulated rubber boots on. It makes my feet sweat on the walk in but I guess because the hand warmers have such solid contact with my feet I don't get cold after.

I’ve got a set of thermacell proflex heavy duties sitting on the work bench waiting to try.

Back