• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fermentation/Natural Probiotics - Kombucha, Kefir, Kvass, Kraut, Kimchi

jlh42581

How many of you make or drink these, I make Kvass and Kombucha so far and drink them daily. I have my wife and kid drinking them too, neither one of them will touch Kefir but Ive never had them try a non dairy version of it. Ive not started kraut or kimchi yet but I fully intend too.

Stuff is getting popular again as people have found the benefits of good bacteria.

I'm a fermentation fanatic! Mainlt I make saurkraut.

I like kombucha, have made it but fell off the brewing train.

Not so much that its hard work but it takes up a lot of space unless you make small batches. They can all go to the extreme end of sour/vinegar fast if you ignore it. Nothing like a vinegar scoby.

Very interesting topic, we give our 2 kids probiotics and have been since the early months of their lives. We have a 2.5 year old girl and 6 month old boy. Our daughter LOVES kombucha.

I've dabbled in brewing beer but it's just too time consuming for me right now, I feel like kombucha would be the same.

We buy kombucha from Costco...its not the cheapest stuff in the world but I think the benifits are pretty good for children and adults. I've heard good thinks about kimchi but just haven't tried it. For what it's worth I feel like we rarely get sick and have great digestion. I've listened to alot of podcasts on the benifits of probiotics. So far I haven't found anything negative.

I'm surprised to hear that antibiotics are potentially really harmful. We try our very hardest not to give antibiotics and if we do we are also giving probiotics to help replenish the good stuff and then for the next couple weeks after any antibiotic intake we load up on the good stuff.

Antibiotics REALLY mess up my wife if you know what I mean.

Its taking about 9 days to make Kombucha start to finish, about 4 days for a Kvass like drink. Ive made wine and Im familiar with the beer process. This stuff is stupid easy. Virtually no work at all and if you have swing top bottles or bottles that can handle carbonation you are already half way there.

Time is one thing I dont have a lot of these days either. I havent made wine in 2 years.

Aron Snyder of Kifaru peaked my interest in it just by casually mentioning it in a podcast. That dude is a hunting machine.

I have made beer, I drank it all lol. I have had a ginger bug going for almost 2 years. I make fermented lemonade and drink it couple times a week. It’s delicious. I haven’t had heartburn in 2 years either. I used to make sourdough, but I started eating keto about a year, and 70lb, ago and that means no bread. I use sugar to make my ginger bug but I let my lemonade go untilmost of the sugar is gone and I sweeten with stevia. One time it got boozy and I got buzzed! Lemonade is super simple too. To make the bug just grind up ginger and stick it in a sterile jar with a pinch of brown sugar and distilled water. I only harp on sterile jars and distilled water because the Former keeps you safe and the later keeps the yeast and bacteria you want safe. Well rubberband a coffee filter on the jar and let it sit on top of your fridge for a day. After that pour a little water out, and add enough to refill, adding another punch of ginger and brown sugar. Lossy put the cap on and set on your freezer. Repeat this process for a few days and you will see bubbles. Congratulations you new have an active culture. You can keep it in the fridge and feed it once a week and it will live forever.
To make thenlemonade chop up a few lemons, and either rough chop some ginger and add it in, or make some jinjer tree, and add it in once cool if you like it spicy, I do. Add about half the liquid from a jar of bug, and top off with distilled water, and a cup of white sugar half a cup if it’s a quart jar. Cover and let it go. Bur0 it daily or your jar will pop. You can drink it any time. Earlier will be more sweet. Later will be more sour. If it’s warm it can get boozy, but it will never be so boozy to get you hammered, like 3% max.

Sourkraut is stupid easy. Sterile bucket or jar. Shaved cabbage and kosher salt. I inc( of cabbage. 1 tbs of salt for a quart jar. About 3 tbs for a 5 gal bucket. Keep going until you fill it up. The jar you just seal and burp every once in a while. The bucket you sterilize a nice heavy plate. Use it to push the cabbage under the water. Weigh down the plate so it stays submerged with a washed and sterilized rock. Stick a lid with an airlock on it and let it go for a month. BAM, sourkraut. Use it Kapusta.

Ive got some "hot" sauerkraut going today! We shall see!

I have my family and some friends drinking kombucha like its going out of style.

I also picked some turkey tail mushrooms back when i was grabbing puff balls and hen of the woods mushrooms. Finished that tincture today, man is it gross. However, it seems if i mix it with anything, even coffee i cant taste it.

I like me some sour kraut, and I ferment my own hot sauces... but that’s about all I ferment since I gave up brewing beer.

My daughter brews Kombucha and loves it. I refuse to drink anything from a container that has a mushroom growing in it.

Had a guy on my team while deployed to Trinidad. He had stomach issues all the time with the local food. He started drinking kambucha and it cleared it right up. He still drinks it all the time back here in the states. Food for thought for guys with digestion issues.

Ive got sauerkraut too, fermented garlic honey and a tincture of pine pollen going right now in addition to kombucha.

Theres a lot of study this day in age pointing to gut health and mental health being linked.

Back