• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fiddle Factor

Alud555

Hello all,

Getting ready for another season in the saddle (second season)! I currently use a primal plywood platform and maybe I'm just out of practice but it takes some fiddling around to get the platform set just right. Is there a similar fiddle factor with a pivot style platform? My issue is that it's usually not tight enough and pulls away from the tree when I stand on it.

Thanks!

Nah, not really. I think lowest fiddle factor has to be the cam style like mission, predator, cruzr seeker etc… The OOAL platform styles are probably second best and ROS third

I had the same set up as you (plywood + we step). It made me realize how great a platform is. I ended up getting the predator and its easily in the top 3 pieces of gear I own for saddle hunting. They are very easy to set and really easy to keep tight to the tree. I would highly recommend purchasing one or something similar. I have a size 9.5 boots and have never needed more space. I like how slim it packs and how easy it is to set up.

The Predator is easy to set. I could never get my Primal/plywood to set well against the tree.

There's no "cam" on that?
Not that I'm aware...I don't have that brand but have treesuit style and it is just a matter of tightening 1 ocb strap. The platform may slide down the trunk a smidgen like when u "set" a climbing stick but once that is done it is very solid

This one doesn't pull away even when I stand on it. Mostly.

Last edited:
Did u come to that conclusion when I let u borrow it to try it out?.....oh wait, u have never tried it to really know what ur talking about...hhmmmm maybe I just have super human balance and equilibrium

Did u come to that conclusion when I let u borrow it to try it out?.....oh wait, u have never tried it to really know what ur talking about...hhmmmm maybe I just have super human balance and equilibrium
Maybe you do a lot of roofing and are used to walking on 45 degree inclines. :)

Maybe you do a lot of roofing and are used to walking on 45 degree inclines. :)
I've nailed some squares and installed lots of metal roof....but that is exactly it.....how are roofers able to stand on the roof pitch? Everyone is different in the way they position themselves in a tree to hunt. Everyone who has tried this angled platform like this has liked it. I'm more of a leaner than most and have a steeper angle...my other buddy isn't as extreme so I built his platform specific to him.
The way I determine the angle is this....tether in on the ground and adjust until u are at the most comfortable position, then put an angle finder on ur chest or back and read the angle....that angle is what I build the platform to. So now instead of getting into the comfortable position and have to stand on the edge of the platform causing foot/ankle fatigue over time, my foot/leg/ankle are in the natural standing position.

Enough about my stuff...back on original topic..not much fiddle factor (F²) to this style of platform

I've nailed some squares and installed lots of metal roof....but that is exactly it.....how are roofers able to stand on the roof pitch? Everyone is different in the way they position themselves in a tree to hunt. Everyone who has tried this angled platform like this has liked it. I'm more of a leaner than most and have a steeper angle...my other buddy isn't as extreme so I built his platform specific to him.
The way I determine the angle is this....tether in on the ground and adjust until u are at the most comfortable position, then put an angle finder on ur chest or back and read the angle....that angle is what I build the platform to. So now instead of getting into the comfortable position and have to stand on the edge of the platform causing foot/ankle fatigue over time, my foot/leg/ankle are in the natural standing position.

Enough about my stuff...back on original topic..not much fiddle factor (F²) to this style of platform
Won't pull away from the tree. That's for sure.

Back