• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Figure 8 as rapel device

Praddle

Is anyone using a basic figure 8 device to rapel? With a prusik already on the tether to be used as backup seems like the simplest and cheapest option to rapel after one sticking.

This video shows how easily the figure 8 could be added to rapel line and descend w/ prusik as back up-

Seems about the same...1 with a piece of metal and the other using existing rope.....more than 1 way to skin a cat.

I'm new to all of this so just watched some videos on the munter hitch and will try that first. Nothing else to buy and avoids more metal on metal.

Be sure to try that Munter hitch close to the ground. It may provide a LOT less friction than you think.

I like the munter hitch for the short distances we rappel and you can back it up with an autoblock knot just like anything else too!

Just so everybodies on the same page on terminology... There is a munter hitch. U can rappel with it but it will put twists in ur rope.

Then there is the super/monster munter. This is what I use to rappel. Doesn't twist ur rope and makes.for.a more controlled descent vs regular munter

Just like the weirdo guy in the last video says....what happens if u drop ur device? Everybody who is rappelling should know how to tie and use this hitch just in case something happens to ur mechanical device....

My first rappel experience was in the army with a Swiss basket “harness” and a caribiner. As others have said, that’s the simplest device for rappelling.

When I got into saddle hunting I picked up a figure 8 and used it a couple times but in the cold and dark at 30’ I really don’t like switching between ropes and devices at the end of the long day.

Now I climb, hunt and rappel attached to a Safeguard on a 30’ rope. I carry a second 10’ rope as a lineman/tether in case I need to move around branches or the rare occasion that I get to the top and find I want to tether to a different location.

My method means I connect at the ground and never mess with my gear in most cases until I disconnect back on the ground. I can abort and rappel at a moments notice or come down part way and SRT back up. I use this 30’ tether to climb even if using a self climber platform or 1 stick or 3 sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "weirdo guy" is kinda cool.
I've watched quite a few of his videos lately.

I haven't started rappelling down outta the tree yet, but when I was a teenager I took a few 'beginner' rock climbing/rappelling classes... (that was a lifetime ago it seems)

Last edited:
I’m glad someone mentioned this. I was researching munter hitches vs. figure 8 plates just last night. Any tips on rope selection between the two- does it matter much? (Assuming it’s a static climbing rope in proper strength and diameter per the specs of the device... I mean as far as how the rope handles, its durability, slickness when wet, etc.).

Is anyone using a basic figure 8 device to rapel? With a prusik already on the tether to be used as backup seems like the simplest and cheapest option to rapel after one sticking.

I have tried both a Figure 8 and an ATC as my friction device. Both are simple and effective, however I noticed more noise with the Figure 8 due to metal on metal contact. Because of this, I primarily use the ATC. The 8 rides in the dump pouch of my backup saddle.

Back