• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Figure 8 on a bight

jfinn

Apr 20, 2020
SE WI
I was watching some videos on tethers and it mentioned to put a figure 8 on a bight in the end of your tree tether and clip into your carabiner, is this something that most people do? I see the advantage from a safety standpoint but does the tether tag end more around to much and get in the way if you clip it in?

kobudo

Jan 4, 2017
Barron County Wisconsin
I use a Alpine butterfly instead of a figure 8 on my tail end as a safety backup. This also keeps the tail end from swinging around it the wind. On my lineman belt I use a figure 8 like Drew does from wild edge as a back up.
Good luck! JJ

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: KYhunter66

jfinn

Apr 20, 2020
SE WI
I use a Alpine butterfly instead of a figure 8 on my tail end as a safety backup. This also keeps the tail end from swinging around it the wind. On my lineman belt I use a figure 8 like Drew does from wild edge as a back up.
Good luck! JJ

Do you just have one tied into the end of your rope or tie one in every time your are in the tree since the tether length might change?

jfinn

Apr 20, 2020
SE WI
Good luck! JJ

What does Drew do for the lineman's?

sweats

Apr 17, 2018
I do that. I don't find it too obtrusive as long as my tether isn't way longer than needed for the tree I am in.

TooBigToFit

Jun 15, 2019
SW PA
I have a particularly long tether (ordered it figuring it's probably best to have too much than to have too little), so I daisy chain a portion of it and run it back up to the biner.

Reactions: sweats