• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finally! First bow buck!

Jmarzey

Well, after 3 straight years of mishaps and struggles, it finally happened!

If you look at my posts you can see the struggles I’ve had the 2 previous deer seasons, trying to shoot a buck with a bow. 2 years ago I hit a limb and missed a great public land deer. Last season I misjudged a yardage and shot under the biggest deer I’ve ever seen from a tree.

This year I’ve been steady after a buck and have yet to shoot a doe, which is unlike me. I usually kill 2 or 3 in the early season. A few weeks ago I took a shot on a small buck on my lease inside the city limits, and shot over his back at 30 yards.

3 mishaps 3 years in a row almost made me jump from the tree head first lol

Well all that just made this even sweeter. Sunday afternoon about 6:45 this dude cruised in following a doe. Gave me a 12 yard shot and I hammered him. He bounded a few times, made it about 40 yards and fell over dead. The struggles make the success even better! Gotta love bow hunting!

8e03a19df4b3ea0d6234035231267af4.jpg

5dad3a2533e22532347e1e767ba0c8d9.jpg

12c480bb395d0023344d69e6af88472a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations man! I can certainly relate to your struggles. I see a saddle is what enabled you to get right on top of all those deer?
Same here, I was so covered in deer this past weekend that I couldn’t get my string pulled back to shoot the buck I wanted. I literally had 12 eyes bloating around me from 1 yard to 30 yards all at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats on a nice buck! As someone mentioned above, there's nothing like the first one. I still remember every detail of my first one from over 40 years ago while the multitude in between then and now have blended and faded away. Congrats again!

Congratulations man! I can certainly relate to your struggles. I see a saddle is what enabled you to get right on top of all those deer?
Same here, I was so covered in deer this past weekend that I couldn’t get my string pulled back to shoot the buck I wanted. I literally had 12 eyes bloating around me from 1 yard to 30 yards all at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely! Little acorn flat between thick privet bedding and a power line. 100 acre city lease in the middle of town. Got the lease the weekend before the season and didn’t have time to go in there close and hang a stand. Took some xop sticks in and have left them in there. White oaks dropping acorns at 10 yards and that’s why the does are in there so thick. That buck was on his feet due to the cold front, following a young doe hard. No daylight pictures of him for the last month. Worked out perfect, she was hungry and he was feeling frisky lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck yeah. Good job it’s a great feeling. My first saddle buck I shot last year got stolen off private land. This year opening morning I placed a perfect shot and enjoyed the reward. Getting that monkey off your back is tough sometimes.

Way to show resilience. A rare quality these days. And congrats on a nice first bow buck.

Heck yeah man! Awesome buck. Failure is the seasoning that makes success taste so good!
This^^^ congrats! I’m still after my first so this is a nice story to help with confidence. Thanks for sharing!

Back