• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finally got some hang time - Six hours to be exact

Peterk1234

Here in Massachusetts our bow season has two start dates. Basically, the eastern part of the State starts two weeks early. I do not hunt this part of the State, but I was itching, so I found spot and tested the system out.

So what would I change after my fist six hour sit? Absolutely nothing. I am using a sitdrag and rock harness. Having actual hunting pants on made a huge difference compared to my practice and scouting runs. That little extra cushion really made it comfortable. I can only imagine what it will be like with layers. Eventually, I am sure I will get a saddle because it will eliminate a bit of bulk and probably add to the comfort, but man this thing is awesome. Six hours ..... no problem. I could easily do an all day sit in it.

I have a backband. Highly recommended. Just lean back and enjoy the scenery. I think it is a must have.

My climbing system, I am sure most of you know, are the WE Steps with the knaider/swaider. It was the first time going up this tree. About 16 inches in diameter with a slight lean. I was up in a matter of minutes. It was a maple tree with some rock hard bark. It rained for the last hour, so I had to come down a wet tree. No problem at all.

My platform was the fourth step of the climbing setup, with two ameristeps on the rope. I added a second step as well, using my rope wrap trick to firm up the Ameristeps. Easy to set up the two steps. Ameristeps were solid. I actually spent quite a bit of time with one foot on the Ameristep. Never moved. Love this setup. Simple, quiet, gives me every position and it all packs into the WE bag.

Used a whoopie sling with little hooks for pack and to hang gear. Big hook for the bow. Worked great and easy to set up.

Originally I was going to use my mountain biking knee pads but then I read Eberhart's thread and he was big on the gel pad. Well for fifteen bucks I made the investment. Those things rock and added so much comfort. I could really take the load off my feet whenever I wanted.

So a couple of really nice things that I never thought about. First, it is super quiet. The whole thing. No metal hitting metal, or parts that hinge and squeak. Just silence. Amazing. All your stuff is at your fingertips. The pack, the bow, range finder, grunt tube, whatever. Why? Because you are facing the tree. No more twisting around, fumbling for something behind you. Heck, you don't even have to remove things from the hook to use them (other than the bow). Just small subtle movements to get to things. Oh what...... pack is hanging off to the side? No problem, just gently swing yourself over to it. Just wow.

It is easy to change foot positions or body positions so you can stay comfortable. No major, or abrupt movements required. You are practically floating up there. The movements are smooth and subtle. Even when going from sitting to standing position. It just takes a gentle push on the legs.

No deer today, but none was expected since this area was not scouted. Wanted to get out and work the bugs out before my zones open up. I am happy to say, no bugs to work out. Well, maybe one thing. I removed the knaider/swaider while hunting. I forgot to put them back on. Did not realize until all I was hooked to was the linemans belt. They were easy to put on because the WE is such a stable platform..... but gotta remember to put them on while I am still tethered. Pete

20181001_131742.jpg
20181001_131824.jpg
20181001_143815.jpg
20181001_151755.jpg

Awesome. I can’t wait to get out there myself . Season opens the 15th down here. Hopefully I’ll have my mantis by then. Fingers crossed ....

I hunted 3-5 times from a Trophy Line saddle last year before I sold it. This will be my first whole season in the saddle.

Looking forward to work out all the kinks.
The only thing I’ll probably do different is use a knee pad attached to the tree instead of wearable knee pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice way to spend the day. Your setup looks great, but looks are deceiving,...it's the comfort that matters. ;)

I leave both aiders on. I clip the carbineron the long one to my leg loop - it stays out way fine. On the knee one, I loosen calf strap and slide hook behind kneee then tighten up again.

I’ll do this until I find a reason not to. Way easier than taking off up there

Thanks for the update. Its good to hear those little things.

I leave both aiders on. I clip the carbineron the long one to my leg loop - it stays out way fine. On the knee one, I loosen calf strap and slide hook behind kneee then tighten up again.

I’ll do this until I find a reason not to. Way easier than taking off up there
I had them on for a while then wanted to see what it was like to have them off. I should have thought about turning the hook behind the knee.... That would have solved the slight discomfort. Next time :)

I got to practice a little with the knaider/swaider. i like the system. I haven't perfected it yet, but that'll come. I have gotten much better at the WE knot, and they've become something i'd consider using now. I couldn't stand the should of getting less than 2' per 1 step without some type of aider, which is ultimately what lead to me not considering them.

The only thing i'm waiting on atm is my castration band to keep the loop on my foot. I know it will be a great system.

Awesome! Peter. You called out all the reasons so many hunters are coming over to saddle hunting.
Sitdrag are awesome! HUGE fan. I haven’t found anything I like as much as a sitdrag yet. I hope to see a Mantis soon.

Awesome! Peter. You called out all the reasons so many hunters are coming over to saddle hunting.
Sitdrag are awesome! HUGE fan. I haven’t found anything I like as much as a sitdrag yet. I hope to see a Mantis soon.

I am pleasantly surprised by the sitdrag. Another option for to consider is losing the rock harness and just use the sitdrag. But for now I like being also tethered to the harness, at least until I feel really, really good about my amsteel splicing and any wear and tear on the bridge. Honestly though if nothing has shown any signs of failure at this point, I can't imagine I have a problem. I also want to see what people's findings will be regarding the new saddles after a season of hard use. A lot of people have jumped on the bandwagon, so any issues will be well documented by January. I am leaning toward the solid material of the Kestrel for now because I just cannot see how a mesh material will not deform when loaded. But a few months and several hunters will tell me for sure :)

I am pleasantly surprised by the sitdrag. Another option for to consider is losing the rock harness and just use the sitdrag. But for now I like being also tethered to the harness, at least until I feel really, really good about my amsteel splicing and any wear and tear on the bridge. Honestly though if nothing has shown any signs of failure at this point, I can't imagine I have a problem. I also want to see what people's findings will be regarding the new saddles after a season of hard use. A lot of people have jumped on the bandwagon, so any issues will be well documented by January. I am leaning toward the solid material of the Kestrel for now because I just cannot see how a mesh material will not deform when loaded. But a few months and several hunters will tell me for sure :)

Shh Don’t tell no one but I hunted without my rock climbing harness after about the second hunt
Just the sitdrag and a linesman belt.

Shh Don’t tell no one but I hunted without my rock climbing harness after about the second hunt
Just the sitdrag and a linesman belt.

did you add something on it to secure it to you?

i don't believe people are using a RCH with the sit drag because they like the extra bulk. I believe its for the added safety. Don't risk your life over not having to put one more item on.(not saying you are, just stating in general)

did you add something on it to secure it to you?

i don't believe people are using a RCH with the sit drag because they like the extra bulk. I believe its for the added safety. Don't risk your life over not having to put one more item on.(not saying you are, just stating in general)
No Sir. I used the linemen belt to climb the tree and used the sitdrag to sit in. When I got to height I hooked up my tether to the sit drag and sat down then I took my linesman and hooked it to the tether for a back band. I don't like the leg straps or the waist belt on the Kestrel either. I always felt safe and very comfortable. Many guys are using just the sit drag with out a linesman just using the sitdrag loops for the linesman
Disclaimer: this is what i did it don't make it safe and isn't recommended by the manufacturer

@Peterk1234 if you switch to a saddle do it for safety. I ordered the kestrel last year after playing with the sit drag for about six months. It was the newest and only “minimalist” saddle out there. When I opened the box I was blown away with how bulky it was. It’s comfortable and safe and will probably outlast me but compact it wasn’t. Then handling a trophyline reminded me how compact it really was. Be safe and enjoy it.

I have been running a SitDrag without RC harness for almost 3 years now. Basically whenever G2 found them. I absolutely love it. I had local upholstery shop sew in a belt (with cobra buckle) and two sets of molle loops for a dump pouch on each side. I will say, the one thing that the mantis would definitely streamline is with the addition of the dedicated linesman loops. It is kind of a pain managing 2 linesman belts and a bridge on one set of loops. I think I would girth hutch a dedicated linesman belt to one of the sides.

Go ahead call me out, beat me up, I'm just telling truth. We can all act like MOST of the guys hunting in the sitdrag wore a RC but we would simply be lying to each other. From my understanding Greg, Ikeman and most others didn't wear an RC either. The Sitdrag filled a need that no company was offering. I think the Mantis will fill that need. Its up to each individual to decide if they are safe in the Sitdrag.

now back on Subject Peter, I'm glad you had a good sit and feel confident and comfortable in your set up. Congrats and thank you for your input on this site

Go ahead call me out, beat me up, I'm just telling truth. We can all act like MOST of the guys hunting in the sitdrag wore a RC but we would simply be lying to each other. From my understanding Greg, Ikeman and most others didn't wear an RC either. The Sitdrag filled a need that no company was offering. I think the Mantis will fill that need. Its up to each individual to decide if they are safe in the Sitdrag.

now back on Subject Peter, I'm glad you had a good sit and feel confident and comfortable in your set up. Congrats and thank you for your input on this site

I definitely didn't mean to "beat you up". I just don't want to be reading a thread stating how "we lost a friend" or "learn from my mistake".

I definitely didn't mean to "beat you up". I just don't want to be reading a thread stating how "we lost a friend" or "learn from my mistake".
I didn't take it that way, I'm sure it may go that way as the day progresses. We have already had a thread say learn from my mistake this year. It will happen it always does. Most of the time its not from equipment failure its from human error.

Back