• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finally, it comes together.

Jmiller

I was getting a little worried that it might not happen this year.

I'd seen some small bucks over the course of bow season, and even killed one of them on the last day of a quota hunt I participated in. I also tagged one doe earlier in the season for meat when the opportunity presented itself, so I wasn't going to be too disappointed if I didn't get a good buck. But I'll be honest, all the hours of practice, the cost of setting up new arrows, time away from family, I wanted to seal the deal.

Last Saturday was the muzzleloader opener, and it's when you start to see other hunters in the woods. I'd committed to getting it done with the bow though, so as the first real signs of the rut kicked off last weekend, I was both encouraged by the deer movement and discouraged by the amount of other hunters and shooting I could hear nearby. I did manage to get a good buck within 75 yards (easy muzzleloader distance) that day, but could only watch helplessly as he made a bee line to some other woodlot in search of a hot doe.

This morning, I almost didn't get out of bed. High in the 70s, but at least a little breezy. I needed to get some work done but hey, it's Nov 9. Let's get up a tree.

I hiked in blind at sunup into a 3-4 year cutover on a tract I'm not real familiar with and hadn't scouted at all. I knew it was going to be thick, but I'd seen a good buck cross the road just below it as I drove to another site last weekend. I climbed to nearly the highest point on the property where I found the confluence of several skid roads, some deer trails and a few fresh rubs. I got up the tree as the sun came up and was set by 6:15.

fP8D2Qhl.jpg

About 30 minutes later, I catch some movement off to my left. A doe.
Nice. I could use another doe for the freezer.
I wait as she moves closer, then I catch the movement of one more doe. Then another one.
Just as the first doe moves about into range I think about drawing back and I hear "braaaaaaaapppppp" and see antlers moving through the brush herding the does around.

Just like you'd picture it happening, he pushes the does right past my setup and gives me a broadside shot. Somehow, no panic.

"Thwack!" I know it's solid.

He doesn't run. He's just so keyed in on these does that he continues to follow after them. After a 30 or so yards, he beds down. But soon after gets back up.
A few minutes later I hear some thrashing and think I see him run off.

I text my friend hunting down the mountain a ways to give the rundown. Then I start taking down my platform, my sticks, one by one, neatly putting all my gear up just the way I brought it in to consume time. I climb down and see my lighted nock glowing.

rpiZtMKl.jpg

Encouraged, I follow a little further and start to see the spray.

KYC1bjPl.jpg

Just a little ways further, and I see him laying dead in the leaves.

Hell. Yes.

vyhbiw8l.jpg

This is what I'd been waiting for. I text pics to my friends, tell the wife, start taking care of business. It's a long drag and a big deer, but mostly downhill.

AST2fjpl.jpg

A friendly neighbor spots me and offers a lift to my truck. We get him loaded up and the deed is pretty much done.

W987nUHl.jpg

Time to celebrate and time to get to work.

b3emhgOl.jpg

FTEUKNPl.jpg

All in all, my best archery buck. Thanks to Saddlehunter.com for all the knowledge and help. I dig hunting like this.

LH6fz5el.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the nice words.
After watching a catman vid the other night, I decided to try and DIY a euromount of my bucks from this year.

The images below are a bit graphic so don't scroll down if sensitive to that kind of thing.

I had kept the first buck in my deep freeze to try this later. So when I got the bigger buck yesterday, I figured I'd just do them both at once. Let the little buck thaw over night to be ready this morn.

wJacIBfl.jpg

Major size difference between these two, but I REALLY enjoyed both hunts and figure both deer are worth keeping around as trophies.

zcbaJhul.jpg

I've got to say, this was one of the more disgusting jobs I've ever undertaken. Not that I didn't enjoy skinning out these heads on some level, but it was pretty gross.

RxMLelrl.jpg

...and into the boiling water / borax solution for 2 hours.

JeHnpv7l.jpg

After the first boil, they came out looking pretty good. The smaller buck had some of the nasal bones come loose but I managed to save most of them to reassemble later.

tt7LiHIl.jpg

Ok, I'm going to explain the following picture, cause I know there'll be questions. Yes, this is legitimately lodged in the skull.
I shot this deer quartering away, nice mid abdomen shot, a good shot. Saw him go down. Wait an hour and get to the deer and as I approach he starts like he's going to run off, I fire one arrow off, that's where it hit him. Not where I was aiming, but no joke.

GpkNu6ul.jpg

Another hour in fresh/clean borax water and they come out looking even better. No grime, no gristle. I've got them drying in front of a fan tonight, and we'll see if I need to brighten them with some peroxide paste tomorrow.

Durbl1Ll.jpg

Congrats brother! I really dig the euro mount work too! Hopefully next year I'll be able to get a nice buck that will look good mounted like that.

I see why the nasal bones came loose, those mounts look great though

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

Back