• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finding a Hunting Lease

Tom W

Well I sound like a broken record but with my father getting up there in years and me not wanting to see him stop hunting I am contemplating getting a hunting lease probably in New York state or somewhere close to New Hampshire and I wondering where people have found there leases and good places to start looking. I briefly looked at the Hunting Lease Network which seems weird that you have to bid on a lease instead of just a flat rate but was wondering if there are other places I should be looking into and best things to look out for and any other suggestions. I hate to have to pay for hunting but the terrain and low deer populations in New Hampshire is making it tough on my dad to go out hunting much anymore and I hate to see him stop so I'm thinking that if we lease a chunk of land in some farm country I can put him in a nice big comfy and safe ladder stand on the edge of a cornfield that he can easily walk to drink his coffee and at least see some deer. He would be more than happy to just shoot does all season. Thanks

Alternate suggestion: look at plat maps to find big parcels of rural land that have "club" in the name. These are often hunt clubs that MAY be looking for new members. If you join as a member, your guests MAY have visitation rights. This MAY help achieve your goal.

Another suggestion is to look at timber/paper companies. They usually lease lands

You can place a wanted ad in local publications and on Craigslist. Go to the Farm supply/ Co op in the area and ask. Another possibility would be to contact a realtor and ask about possible leases or for other sources of information.

Put in some slacks a button up shirt and knock on some doors. I don’t advise wearing your camo. People have a certain idea what a hunter is it’s up to you to change there first impression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back