• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finding large deer tracks in the big woods

DannyAttacksTheMountain

Hey all,

I am curious what everyone looks for if the're unable to find large deer tracks when there's so many leaves on the forest floor that it's hard to find and/or measure a deer track. I hunt the big woods in mountain/large hill type terrain where finding any loose dirt/mud is scarce due to the ground always being covered by leaves. Once in a blue moon I can find a pond(also rare where I hunt) and can search around it for tracks in the mud yet this doesn't happen often.

I'm also keeping in mind that I can still look for larger deer droppings, scrapes/rubs(later in the season is when these seem to start popping up), possible buck bedding areas(upper one third on a knob where wind blows over their back, etc.), and of course where they feed(which changes throughout the season as different trees start/stop dropping acorns.

My plan this year is to go into areas where I've had buck on trail cam(no checking cams during the season) with my hunting gear on my back and the wind/thermal in my favor. Once I find it, up the tree I go and get ready for action(or lack thereof).

Just curious what everyone else looks for if they can't get a read on actual tracks.

Thanks all,
DATM

Pinch points, food, water. Not tracks.

I almost always set up near water, the noise, smell, and fact that everything needs a drink, even in the hot early season when they go nocturnal, you can usually catch a couple waking up for a midday drink.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Back