• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finger shooters?

Heydeerman

SH Member
Does anyone shoot their compound bow with fingers? I am curious about what rest you might be using.

A great friend of mine gave me a compound to try because of my shoulder. I have shot longbows for 20 years but I have issues at times. He sent it loaded with a sight, stabilizer, and drop away rest. I have removed the sight and stabilizer and have been shooting it with fingers. I am getting decent arrow flight but my gut tells me this is the wrong rest for shooting fingers.

When I first started shooting compounds about 1990 I shot fingers and used a 3 finger shooting glove. The bows were longer then, axel to axel so there was not as much finger pinch as you can expect shooting a short bow. It worked just fine. I had a single simple pin sight and a glue on simple flapper style rest. It was basically what you would expect from a high school kid setting up his bow pre internet information days. That said, I could sure hit with that bow. I only took it hunting once and saw a trespasser but no deer. Back then, I had zero idea how to hunt deer.

If it's working no need to change! I have a bowfishing compound set up for fingers. I'm using a whisker biscuit with no issues, they're pretty forgiving.

I've got an old Bear compound I shoot finger release, but it's set up for fishing. Roller rest and finger savers on the string. My hunting bow I just switched to a thumb release.

NAP flipper rest is simple and works great The golden key star hunter or star hunter premier are the cats pajamas

I have a couple golden key star rests laying around. They work great with larger shaft diameters. Went to the NAP with carbons only cause of the smaller profile and ease of adjustment.

Back