• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finished my sitdrag and harness

Peterk1234

I never thought sewing could be so much fun. Sitdrag has been modified, although I will eventually add a second row of loops. My pouches should be here tomorrow, and I want to see how they feel before I do any more mods. I settled on a 32 inch fixed bridge. I would love to go a bit longer, but then I sacrifice some mobility around the tree. Tether at forehead and this bridge give me decent comfort and the ability to go anywhere around the tree ( I was testing on a 14 inch tree). I used a brummel splice and lock stitch splice per G2's vid. I buried as much rope as I could (about 13 inches) on the lock stitch side.

I ended up sewing the lineman's loops to the harness. I was going to just use water knots, but I wanted the loops to be at least attached to the harness for convenience purposes. I got two birds with one stone by sewing the loop to the harness. It feels rock solid when climbing the tree.

I placed eye splices in my tether and lineman's rope, and I feel confident with the soft shackle on one end of the lineman. It is strong, it is quiet and it is light. Biner used on the side that comes on and off though. I have a Ropeman 1 on the tether and lineman's rope.

All I have left is to make an aider that will be used on the RS aider setup. I will be going with the Wild Edge Steps. I have been playing with a pair of them for a week and they are so easy to setup. I think six with my furniture bracket platform will get me to 23 feet or so. Aider will probably be made from webbing because it will provide a wider/more comfortable aider than rope. I have been using rope to test the system, and it seems to work fine as well.

Thank you for everyone that posts on here about how they do things. With a bit of searching, I was able to find everything I needed to get this accomplished. I am still amazed how much comfort and security the sitdrag and rock climbing harness provide. Oh, and it is relatively inexpensive. And, man is it light; wow. The money saved will go towards the Steps.

Sitdrag: Used G2's idea of a strap and buckle to keep the thing in place. It is an absolute must, not just for walking, but for climbing. I was testing the sitdrag, trying to figure out the bridge length before I had added the straps. Man, what a bitch trying to keep it in place while climbing and setting up. The "belt" solved that problem. I used 1/4" amsteel for the bridge, although it looks a lot bigger because I buried as much line as possible.
20180204_174618.jpg

Harness: Only mod was sewing on the loops. This webbing (sitdrag spare parts) goes all the way around the harness. It also goes through a load bearing gear loop at the back of the harness. I have climbed with it a few times and it is solid. The sewing may be ugly but it is strong. I also tested the harness by simulating a fall. I have a prusik knot on the tether that is clipped to the harness. Worked fine.

20180204_161354.jpg

Hey G2, I actually used mine twice this season and planning on putting the Sitdrag on overtime while dining pigs this summer.
I'm getting used to it and it's simplicity
That's great! What mods did you end up making?

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Furniture bracket platform? Picture please

There is a recent thread in them from last week I think. I don't remember the name of the thread though. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a recent thread in them from last week I think. I don't remember the name of the thread though. Anyone?

look up "So I have been looking for brackets"

look up "So I have been looking for brackets"

They're sold out and they don't know if they'll get anymore in.

I am partially guilty. I ordered another 15 :)

So, my pouches came. I promise, last pic of my sitdrag. I can't help myself though because I am having way too much fun when I get home from work. These things are perfect for my tether and lineman's rope.

20180206_172913.jpg

Last edited:

So, my pouches came. I promise, last pic of my sitdrage. I can't help myself though because I am having way too much fun when I get home from work. These things are perfect for my tether and lineman's rope.

View attachment 3881
No worries. We're all trying to have fun. Good project.

I ordered 8 off of eBay for $4 a piece but they are shipping from China.
Do you have a link? I don't know what to call them to search for them. Maybe if I get an order in they'll make the trip together on the same barge. Lol

So, my pouches came. I promise, last pic of my sitdrag. I can't help myself though because I am having way too much fun when I get home from work. These things are perfect for my tether and lineman's rope.

View attachment 3881
Ha. I have been getting all the items in for my sit drag as well. It's been like Christmas the amount of little packages that are arriving.

Reactions: PJC
Back