• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finished XOP seat platform

Jed33

Dec 21, 2016
Thanks to you guys for helping me out. I made the whoopie sling and attached it to my platform. Took it out to try at ground level and had some issues. First the platform slid down a few inches. This was on a wet slick cedar and I think the bark peeled away from the sling letting it slide down. So I switched to a tree with rougher bark and noticed the platform had a lot of side to side movement. I attempted to tighten the bolt, but the platform still rocks back and forth on the bolt. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

quadro

Feb 4, 2016
Did you put yhe nylon washers, that came with the seat, on ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jed33

Dec 21, 2016
Yeah the washers are on, I also bought some teflon washers to try and squeeze in but they wouldn't fit.

Reactions: ImThere

quadro

Feb 4, 2016
Hmm, shouldn't be that much play. There is a small amount. Are you using the 1/4 , bolts that came with the seat, also ?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Erniepower

Vendor Rep
Oct 25, 2015
Minneapolis MN
Agreed, the play should really be minimal. Can you post some pictures of your setup?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jed33

Dec 21, 2016
I am using the 1/4" bolt. I think the problem is the bolt hole itself. I had issues with the drill creeping on me when I drilled the post, and it was off center and would not let me put the bolt through the seat and the post with out opening up the hole on the post. I believe this is where my problem lies. I have another post and this time I will use the drill press at work.

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
I am using the 1/4" bolt. I think the problem is the bolt hole itself. I had issues with the drill creeping on me when I drilled the post, and it was off center and would not let me put the bolt through the seat and the post with out opening up the hole on the post. I believe this is where my problem lies. I have another post and this time I will use the drill press at work.

You could make the hole bigger and add an insert from McMaster Carr. This is what Ernie did in a post in early November It will be stronger that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PJC

Erniepower

Vendor Rep
Oct 25, 2015
Minneapolis MN
Every kit now comes with that insert as a standard. It's a little tricky to get the hole just right for a press fit, but I've been really happy with the finished product.

Reactions: quadro

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
Every kit now comes with that insert as a standard. It's a little tricky to get the hole just right for a press fit, but I've been really happy with the finished product.

I got one of Ernie's platforms before he put the inserts in. I ordered one from McMaster and drilled it with a drill press 1/32 smaller or maybe 1/64 I forget and carefully pressed it in with a vise. It worked fine.

Jed33

Dec 21, 2016
Does anyone have a link for the inserts? I've not been able to find them on McMaster Carr's website.

Erniepower

Vendor Rep
Oct 25, 2015
Minneapolis MN
Note, I followed the 15/32" drill bit with a .4990 reemer which enlarged the hole from .46875" to .4990". Since the insert is .500", there is a .001" interference fit.