• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Aid - What do you carry on you

Not much tbh, 2 ziplock bags one stuffed with paper towels and the other baby wipes, couple bandaids and a spare handkerchief for applying pressure if needed. I've got spare bits of rope and stuff from my saddle stuff if I needed to tie off a leg in a splint

Edit: I'll actually include my whistle in there as well, because if I need it, I'm either lost or hurt

Nothing specific aside from a few band-aids but here again is where saddle hunting stuff can be put to other uses. A tether can be used as a tourniquet or lashings for a splint. If I were hunting out west or in an area where it may takes days to get out, I'd also carry a skin stapler.

I have a roll of TP in my bag, and wrapped around a pill bottle I have my milkweed in, I have some gorilla tape. That covers me for minor cuts.

I don’t always have it bow hunting, but when gun hunting in PA, I always carry a quick clot bandage and a tourniquet. Sometimes it’s like the Wild West out there.

For a medkit, I carry a small (5"x6") pack which has a tourniquet, chest seal, wraps, gauze, alcohol wipes, a few bandaids, gloves, and some misc medications such as Motrin, Benadryl, Neosporin, aspirin, and TUMs. It's a small package and easily fits in my pack. I keep a little larger kit in the truck and figure the small kit should be enough to get me to the truck where I can swap bandages if needed or whatever.

I need to get better at actually carrying something when hunting. In my bag for work I have a first aide kit along with a Dark Angle Medical trauma kit with a tourniquet that I have in my job trailer. Because I have it attached via molle to my bag it mages it a pia to grab and switch into my hunting pack.

I need to get better at actually carrying something when hunting. In my bag for work I have a first aide kit along with a Dark Angle Medical trauma kit with a tourniquet that I have in my job trailer. Because I have it attached via molle to my bag it mages it a pia to grab and switch into my hunting pack.
Look at a tear-away IFAK. Molle attachment for your work bag but tears away via velcro to throw in your hunting pack.

I keep one of these on the headrest in my SUV and take the other one with me when I am hunting. My "field" one has quikclot in it.

Note that if you have FSA funds left at the end of the year that these kits are FSA eligible. I'd recommend grabbing one and a few tourniquets. It's a good idea to keep a TQ with you whenever you are shooting IMO.

I go a little overboard on this one but I have had to use it before and was thankful when I had it! When you are running a saw by yourself in the woods its a good idea to be prepared to keep blood in your body. I have one of these in my boat, four wheeler, truck and my hunting bag. My kit is as follows

Soft T wide tourniquet x1 (Marine corps taught me not to be a fan of the CAT tourniquets)
Chest seals x2
Quick clot combat gauze x2
suture kit x1
Israeli pressure dressing x2
flatroll of gorilla tape x1
Various band aids and different gauze's

we had a similar thread on this a while back and i got on my soapbox a bit - the basics are- only carry stuff you actually know how to use (and can use one handed/ covered in blood if need be), and have a cell phone with you to call for help or PLB if you're not in cell range. i was an EMT for a while and have a lot of surgical experience (no i'm not a doctor, i worked in organ donation for a decade), and i would still never bother carrying a suture kit or lots of other things in the field. if i puncture a lung, a chest seal can theoretically be improvized from a ziploc bag and duct tape (only tape around the top and two sides), but realistically that'll never happen to 99.999999 of us. (and the other .000001 is likely going to die in the woods before self-rescuing with that type of gear). If you have training (like the previous poster) then go ahead and carry it, but random people have no business carrying everything execpt the last 2 things listed, tape and bandaids (in my opinion) because they won't likely be able to really use a chest seal or a tourniquet correctly if they needed it. some band aids, steri strips, superglue, and a some sterile gauze and tape (literally just duct tape) and quick clot if youre feeling frisky will get you patched up enough to get back to the truck/cell service to seek medical aid. You don't need to be/ won't be able to be sterile in the field, stopping blood flow and getting to help or getting help to you ASAP is the #1 priority.

just one guy on the internet's opinion, i guess that was another soapbox instead of the basics... i was never known to be concise.

TLDR: make whatever decisions make you feel safe, just know how to use your safety gear correctly if you carry it, and you probably don't need much more than band aids and tape.

we had a similar thread on this a while back and i got on my soapbox a bit - the basics are- only carry stuff you actually know how to use (and can use one handed/ covered in blood if need be), and have a cell phone with you to call for help or PLB if you're not in cell range. i was an EMT for a while and have a lot of surgical experience (no i'm not a doctor, i worked in organ donation for a decade), and i would still never bother carrying a suture kit or lots of other things in the field. if i puncture a lung, a chest seal can theoretically be improvized from a ziploc bag and duct tape (only tape around the top and two sides), but realistically that'll never happen to 99.999999 of us. (and the other .000001 is likely going to die in the woods before self-rescuing with that type of gear). If you have training (like the previous poster) then go ahead and carry it, but random people have no business carrying everything execpt the last 2 things listed, tape and bandaids (in my opinion) because they won't likely be able to really use a chest seal or a tourniquet correctly if they needed it. some band aids, steri strips, superglue, and a some sterile gauze and tape (literally just duct tape) and quick clot if youre feeling frisky will get you patched up enough to get back to the truck/cell service to seek medical aid. You don't need to be/ won't be able to be sterile in the field, stopping blood flow and getting to help or getting help to you ASAP is the #1 priority.

just one guy on the internet's opinion, i guess that was another soapbox instead of the basics... i was never known to be concise.

TLDR: make whatever decisions make you feel safe, just know how to use your safety gear correctly if you carry it, and you probably don't need much more than band aids and tape.
I agree to the fullest! There is no since in carrying a tourniquet if you don't know where and how to place it. I am lucky cause I got all the training I could ask for for free. Idk if there is any training you can just go take on the civilian side or not..

I agree to the fullest! There is no since in carrying a tourniquet if you don't know where and how to place it. I am lucky cause I got all the training I could ask for for free. Idk if there is any training you can just go take on the civilian side or not..
There are plenty of courses that are available for those who want it in the emergency med type of stuff. Over the past few years I’ve seen more tactical shooting type instructors begin introducing medical classes. The two honestly go hand in hand. Unfortunately most guys are interested in looking cool and don’t pay attention to the other side of it.
I believe Dark Angel was starting to offer online courses as well. It’s not meant to be a replacement for classroom or real world training, however provide enough knowledge to help someone be proficient in a pinch.

Dark Angels online course is free for those interested in bleeding control.Online Bleeding Control

Never kept much….until I put my havalon thru my finger completely. Then I lost my elastic band on my under roos and the top of a sock to stem the bleeding. That was interesting

2" roll of Kerlix, 4" roll of Kerlix, 6- 4"x 4" gauze pads, 1 abdominal trauma dressing, roll of 1" adhesive tape, 6 band aids, Quick Clot powder, and a triangle bandage. It all fits in a 5" x 6" pouch carried at all times. Will have 40 years on the local Rescue Squad in December and have seen enough to never be without the minimum when in the timber.

@BOWHUNTER14 and I appear to be cut from the same cloth. Former devil doc here, my kit is similar but not that extensive. A quik clot, pressure dressing, tourniquet, couple tampons, super glue and steri strips. I figure if I need more self aid than that I’m well and truly farked and the wife can live comfortably off my life insurance checks when they find my silly ass hanging upside down from a tree.

Wilderness First Responder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are plenty of courses that are available for those who want it in the emergency med type of stuff. Over the past few years I’ve seen more tactical shooting type instructors begin introducing medical classes. The two honestly go hand in hand. Unfortunately most guys are interested in looking cool and don’t pay attention to the other side of it.
I believe Dark Angel was starting to offer online courses as well. It’s not meant to be a replacement for classroom or real world training, however provide enough knowledge to help someone be proficient in a pinch.

Dark Angels online course is free for those interested in bleeding control.Online Bleeding Control

Dark Angel is a great resource. Their Facebook page has a lot of scenario posts too.

Back