• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First archery and treesaddle deer

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
I was hunting a funnel where the shelter belt between two sets of woods meet, with a 10 foot path of open trail between the 2 shelter belt and the woods on my side. I Got my first archery & saddle deer tonight. Was actually about to call it for the night, lowered my bow and turned around to see her standing 25 yards away in the woods. Said you gotta be kidding me so I slowly raised my bow back up, unhooked it from the tow rope, nocked an arrow and waited until she was in the open pathway between the two woods. Watched the arrow hit her and she bucked a few times and staggered about 30 yds and dropped. I was shaking in the tree.

I have no doubt that without a saddle and being 10 feet up in the air allowed me to harvest this lovely lady. When I removed an arrow from my quiver it made a click and she stopped and looked but couldn't see me, and she was only 15 yds at that point

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191030-211516_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191030-211516_Gallery.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 76
Congratulations but now you are hooked and will become obsessed with it all!! Keep up putting in the time and you will have continued success!!

Been obsessed already, made the poor wife a hunting widow, (shes a saint i think) but I put in the work between woods time and backyard target practice and was blessed to be allowed to harvest this beauty. Probably saw a good half dozen tonight but they were too far away to do much but watch, so I learned a bit just glassing them.

Back