• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First climb and set up

Bro A Mo

Got out today to practice climb and set up for hunt. I have done several hangs a few feet off the ground and a few 5 feet or so. Today was the first 15-17ft hang. So I got a Swaider and Knaider from Kraftyguy1990 and 4 primal steps and a ROS from DanO with the strap he sells as well.
I’ll be straight up, I was a little nervous (probably a lot nervous lol). I ended up putting up 3 steps and using the Swad and Knad. I set the ROS, but had a little trouble with the cam over buckle. Ended up tying off and just using top step. Hung around about ten minutes and then climbed down.
I found I was not as comfortable 15 feet off the ground as I was 3 feet. I did try to move around on the steps some and maneuvering around for different shot angles.
When I got down, I put the ROS back on tree and of coarse everything went great at a foot off the ground. Got to practice a few more times before actual hunt, we have till the end of the month to hunt.
Anyway, thought it was educational and fun.
Does anyone use anything other than the tether when hunting? I just wanted to share my experience. Btw, I am using a mantis saddle and haven’t hunted yet.

I am with you. This is my first year and learning as I go. Definitely change perspective up an actual tree. Every hunt has been a learning experience so safe to say not a lot of hunting getting done mainly a lot of figuring out a loose platform or looking down and seeing step has uncammed and of course dropping assorted gear and thinking is this stuff really going to hold.....I have become more confident with each trial and add to my mental checklist things like “make sure your linesman is above the platform...” I am sure I will laugh about it someday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great job guys. Bro A Mo, I’m only a few hunts ahead of you. My last 2 hunts were definitely in spots that would have been a real challenge for a hang on. Both sits gave me opportunities for meat but no mature antlers. Were on to something good here.

Taking your time and building your confidence with your saddle skills is key to safety and enjoyment. It is not natural to hang off a tree. Practicing in the off season as well as scouting will help you during the season next fall.

It's like a well choreographed dance. the more you practice safely, the smoother,quieter,faster,it will become. That will build your confidence ,not only in your technique, but in your equipment. Sounds like your doing the right thing by working it out at ground level. Try fake falling at ground level. Get the feel of hanging off both your teather and linesman. Folks go to work in this gear all the time. It's safe when it's used properly Do your ground level work off a step. It limits your ability to move, like a height. Keep it up low and slow.

This year I've been trying to get the system that works for me, How I hang my bow and pack , down to setting up my platform , to which climbing method I like. There are a lot of pros to hunting this way. I think the biggest problems are , everyone wants to climb to quickly like were supposed to be squirrels ripping up a tree or something, which type of platform to use , weather its a ROS, a mini plat form , what height to set your tether. Then finding the right spot on a tree , this is fun trees on a hillside are a different ball game. Picking trees and what side to set up on. So there is a learning curve to this style of hunting.
I can tell you this silence is the key , using things that make noise, just really doesn't help with this style of hunting. I'm currently waiting on wild edge steps , hoping these will make a difference in stealth of climbing. I haven't gone so far as the naider or sawder yet. I may well go there but I want my climbing set up for efficiency , and not make noise. Climbing down with all these odd ball set ups can be dangerous. Once your up the tree you have to get back down too! Foot platforms are a whole other deal and actually getting those up the tree is a whole other deal. A ROS is nice but it isn't really the best for an all day sit. No matter what your legs are going to get tired. I'm really hoping two or three wild edge steps help. I find being able to move your legs a bit really helps with staying comfortable. Your a step ahead of me with the naider aider swaider , im not sure about those yet.
There is a lot of information to absorb as well. I mean I've tried to become more mobile with this system of hunting , to be ahead of the deer in a way. Bucks know where permanent stands are, not that you can't kill deer out of them but it only takes one time for him to see you and your done. One way or the other practice your whole set up going up and down a tree. This way when you finally get to really hunting your in and your up and your set. Just the other day My predator platform wasn't set right and it let go , it didn't fall because it is designed well but I didn't get it set on the tree right , my tether and prusik held me tight. I had to re set the platform and this is also a situation , you have to use your linemens belt and unhook from your tether and reposition things. This stuff is going to happen out there! So prepare for it.

Last edited:
Good on you for practicing before just heading to the woods. I should do more of that myself, lol. Good advice above about practicing on a step/stick and not directly on the ground too. For the ROS buckle, you have to get feel for how tight to pull the strap but yet still be able to cam the buckle over. Also, placement of the buckle will be key so you are pushing it down where you can apply some leverage and not on the back of the tree where it might be hard. You want to be able to push it down away from you with your palm if possible - I find that is easier. Also keep your straps in line at the buckle so it cam fully cam over. Coming soon(ish) - a new video showing how to setup a ROS.

Thanks for all the feed back. I think this set up will be great and help me get to places and deer I haven’t be able to get to.
I will say for a new guy and the first few times up, I had thoughts of “forget this, I’ll just use my climber”, but then I thought about the fact that it took practice and a few hunts to perfect climbers as well.
Saddle hunting is something I’ve wanted to do for years and I really am looking forward to getting better at it.
So, I don’t think anyone addressed the issue of using anything other than tether when hunt. I may not have been clear in question. Do you use another safety harness or anything.
@DanO, I think the products are great, I just need to practice with them. I’ve got to wrap the steps with something to keep them from making noise.

Thanks for all the feed back. I think this set up will be great and help me get to places and deer I haven’t be able to get to.
I will say for a new guy and the first few times up, I had thoughts of “forget this, I’ll just use my climber”, but then I thought about the fact that it took practice and a few hunts to perfect climbers as well.
Saddle hunting is something I’ve wanted to do for years and I really am looking forward to getting better at it.
So, I don’t think anyone addressed the issue of using anything other than tether when hunt. I may not have been clear in question. Do you use another safety harness or anything.
@DanO, I think the products are great, I just need to practice with them. I’ve got to wrap the steps with something to keep them from making noise.
Yes, pick up some vet wrap or camo form to cover the steps. You can get this at Tractor Supply stores and I just started selling this on my site too.

Tether - most of us just use the tether and nothing else. I use a ropeman/carabiner to connect to my bridge and then a prussic/carabiner on the tail end to connect to my lineman and bridge loop as well.

I use a linesman belt for climbing and when I get to where I want to be I set up my tether
use a ropeman1/carabiner to connect the tether to my bridge. When it's all set I remove the linesman belt and put it away until I climb down. My linesman belt is girth hitched on the right side of my saddle and I have a pouch right there for it so it is always attached on one end.

I have been just using a tether , though this being my first year doing this I'm a bit concerned about , lets say things failing , Ive posted before about using a longer tether and running it back through the saddle loops , a couple of new guys are attaching their linemens belts back to them as a second safety device. Personally I think its to much attaching you to the tree. That said YOU need to feel safe! this will help you learn to trust your gear. I almost had a fall the other day or lets say a little scare my tether caught me, don't be afraid to test your gear your not going to hurt it. Just set up enough off the ground where if you got off the plat form your not going to fall, and you can touch the ground with your feet. I do suggest a stopper knot in your tether , your other route and this double connects you to your tether is with a rock harness and a sit and drag. I posted diy sportsmen the other day on you tube he explains it pretty well. It is basically connecting yourself twice to one line! Remember your tether is a climbing rope designed to save you in a fall it seriously tough stuff , always inspect it though. These are things that get replaces over time for wear and tear.

When using properly designed, used and rated climbing equipment there is no reason to have a backup to the tether. When people start doing DIY, that is another story.

When using properly designed, used and rated climbing equipment there is no reason to have a backup to the tether. When people start doing DIY, that is another story.
I agree that you don't need more then the tether , I have been climbing trees putting up tree stands with a linemen's belt for years now. That alone gave me confidence. So I wasn't total afraid to let myself hang from a tether. How ever , once sitting there long enough thinking about it, I felt looping back into the saddle was a good idea for safety.
I saw the post with the guy with the tether and the linemen's belt on. I feel that is defeating the purpose of the saddle. The tether rope most people are using can pic up a truck no problem. Though you have to remember lots of guys are new to this it takes time to get use to sitting in a saddle and being comfortable , there is a learning curve.

I saw the post with the guy with the tether and the linemen's belt on. I feel that is defeating the purpose of the saddle. The tether rope most people are using can pic up a truck no problem. Though you have to remember lots of guys are new to this it takes time to get use to sitting in a saddle and being comfortable , there is a learning curve.
I 100% agree. That is why I always recommend someone test their gear and get comfortable with it at ground level first. I have seen way too many stories lately of guys getting their stuff and climbing right up with out practice (with a knaider and swaider no less!) IMHO saddle hunting is the safest way to hunt but you need to learn your equipment before you go and use it.

I 100% agree. That is why I always recommend someone test their gear and get comfortable with it at ground level first. I have seen way too many stories lately of guys getting their stuff and climbing right up with out practice (with a knaider and swaider no less!) IMHO saddle hunting is the safest way to hunt but you need to learn your equipment before you go and use it.
I agree with what you said , I got my saddle and went into the back yard and tested it out. Then I tried it with my steps long before I went hunting with it , my first set in a tree was a total mess , I picked a tree with a bad lean, I got down after a little bit and found a better tree. So most of my hunts this year have been learning experiences.
Every guy on here will tell you what they like more then the next but seriously I've had to figure it out as I'm going. I would never try the naider swaider aider without trying it out first. That is an advanced form of climbing! There is way less chances of you falling from the saddle , but there is 100% chance of you falling when you climb!!!

I feel the same way about lineman’s belt, it would be defeating the purpose. Just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing anything. Better safe than sorry for sure! I’m for sure going to practice and get more acquainted with gear. thanks Guys for the feedback

I feel the same way about lineman’s belt, it would be defeating the purpose. Just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing anything. Better safe than sorry for sure! I’m for sure going to practice and get more acquainted with gear. thanks Guys for the feedback
just something to look at is wild edge tree tether it has a loop on both ends

Expanding on this, practice and know your gear, and back up things that have a realistic chance to fail. Skinny amsteel that could get cut/abraded? Some fancy new prusik knot? Ropeman on a small rope?

None of the climbing rated stuff is going to break if properly maintained/inspected. Friction devices can conceivably ice up, slip, etc especially if they see some slack or are used at the edge of their envelope. Consider backing them up.

Just did my first saddle hunt yesterday. Glad to see posts like this as I appreciate learning from others' experience. I plan to use winter squirrel hunting as an excuse to practice climbing in the cold when deer season ends. I used the 5 step aider/tether climbing method with stirrups for a platform. loved the pack-ability and silence of the setup. At hunting height realized how many things I want to hang and thought about G2s vid on his accessory hanging rig will likely be my next project.

Have a great area to practice next to the house which allows the wife to recover me if needed. As a side note found this to be a great workout running up and down the tree four or five times before work. Who needs a gym?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back