• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First day in the saddle

GTel

Well, I think I have everything setup correctly. Tether is girth looped to itself, biners all tightened, Ambush cam'd, used the linesmans belt as a slightly loose backup to the bridge. Gear is hung (ordered the sys strap so that some stuff can hang lower) and need to tape my hero hooks up so no metal on metal. Also going to put another prussik loop on the tether to connect the linesmans to in the future. Stepping over to the platform was definitely a new experience!

And had two small 8s chasing a doe under me within 10 minutes of getting up the tree. Good start!

The size large mantis is definitely a bit tight. Anyone know if the flex size 1 is significantly larger than mantis large? Or should I change my flex order to size 2? I'm 6' 3" 185, 34 waist.

And what a view!
9824997dd39192b4ab14db54ced17813.jpg
ec20810f0e440b3b117ad828d66c2266.jpg
d9e1f4ba8531a3dd666d9612ad287be2.jpg
5049f1f698805b55e01b8cf75cfca0e1.jpg
85a804baf835a204e46050eebea230dc.jpg
9d3b123d0f490ee1e95d43912f76c0df.jpg

Sent from up in a tree

Last edited:
Ten days later, I've hunted from a Mantis, Kestrel, Flex and jx3. The jx3 is by far my favorite. The Flex is awesome and the Kestrel was a close second. The Mantis didn't fit me well. The main comfort issue for me with the Mantis was that all my weight was on the waist belt and I didn't feel any support under my legs. I slid the waist belt way down but then felt like I could slide right out the top of the saddle. The Kestrel distributed the weight much better for me and the Flex really spread the weight out, since it extended so far out under my legs. But the jx3, that's more comfortable than my leather office chair or my living room couch for that matter. And I think I can easily hunt out of it with an ROS instead of a platform, so that will help make it even more compact. Will be trying that out in next couple days and if all goes well, I'll be posting my Ambush platform in classifieds.

Sent from up in a tree

Back