• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Deer in a Saddle

Went out with my buddy on Nov 9th to a spot we hadn’t hunted in a long while. Mainly because it’s back in the pines and in years past it was hard to find a tree to get my climber into. But with my new Aero Kestrel that has changed. We set up on a ridge overlooking a valley that leads out to a field. He took his hang on millennium and sat up in a tree right next to me. At 4:45 a doe popped up over the ridge on my right side. I’d typically pass on a doe during the rut. But I’d hunted 14 times throughout the season and hadn’t had one chance at a doe. I had to go up and over my bridge which was easier than I thought it would be. Keep in mind I ordered my saddle back in early September and didn’t get it til Oct 24...so I really haven’t had much time to practice all the scenarios and shots. I’m lucky enough just to get the WE Stepps to cam over the way they are supposed to. Anyways I pull up my rangefinder because I think I may have an open shot at where she stopped. Before I can get the disttance she trots in even closer and comes right to the biggest gap I have, broadside. I draw back, give her a little grunt to stop her, and then sent my G5 T3 through both lungs. She went 50 yards out the ridge and stopped. Her back end did the dizzy dance and she did a barrel roll into the ravine. My buddy got all this on camera.

Turns out there was a small buck behind her. He went down to where she lay and kicked her trying to get her to get up. A little later a couple bigger bucks came in and my buddy got a shot at one but hit a limb.

Im still working out my system and how I carry everything but I’m enjoying the saddle hunting. Glad to take a nice doe and I’m looking for the buck now.7A648318-6451-4A56-9E93-4C3AAF00AD52.jpeg

Mighty fine!

I wear my Kestrel in with the back rest over one shoulder, the lineman's belt daisy chained and hanging and the tether looped around my neck. Still thinking about how I'm going to more efficiently get sticks 3 and 4 and the platform up with me. I'll tall enough that I can hang sticks 1 and 2 from the ground (LW Minis).

Back