• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Deer Story

Hey everyone,

I’m starting up a new podcast all about hunting stories from the average Joe. My goal is to keep these simple and fun. A lot of podcast I listen to are over an hour. Unless you ya e a super long story, Im planning to keep each episode to 20-30 minutes or so. Not everyone has an hour to listen to a full podcast. The topic for the first few episodes will be “First Deer”...all about what went into you harvesting your first deer. It doesn’t have to be your very first deer...it could be your first archery deer, first buck, first saddle deer, etc. Just a first story that makes you smile when you think back on it. Would any of you care to tell your story? You don’t need a fancy mic or computer, just a phone with decent cell service.

If so send me pm and we can set up a time to call. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone,

I’m starting up a new podcast all about hunting stories from the average Joe. My goal is to keep these simple and fun. A lot of podcast I listen to are over an hour. Unless you ya e a super long story, Im planning to keep each episode to 20-30 minutes or so. Not everyone has an hour to listen to a full podcast. The topic for the first few episodes will be “First Deer”...all about what went into you harvesting your first deer. It doesn’t have to be your very first deer...it could be your first archery deer, first buck, first saddle deer, etc. Just a first story that makes you smile when you think back on it. Would any of you care to tell your story? You don’t need a fancy mic or computer, just a phone with decent cell service.

Love this idea

Hey everyone,

I got a guy who would probably talk to you. Here is the video of his first deer, but it was years in the making. He shot it out of my extra lone wolf cuz he didn't have his mantis yet.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

My first deer was when I was 10 years old. It was the first year Ohio started their weekend youth gun season. I went with my dad and our pastor to his property and within an hour of my first ever hunt a button buck came in to 10 yards of our blind. I had never seen a deer this close and was so nervous. I took aim with my Rossi single-shot .410, Fired, and barely clipped its back (later seen on video). No blood was found, just hair. *my pastors father killed the deer with a bald spot on its back later in the season*.

Fast forward to the next morning we go to a different property in a different county. About 9:30 a spike and a doe come in at about 40 yards, I aimed, fired and hit the spike perfect. It ran straight to me. I was so excited I couldn’t even brake the shotgun barrel open to reload. My dad grabbed my gun, reloaded for me, handed it back to me. I fired and hit the tree beside it at 20 yards. It then ran another 50 yards, fell over, and died. I was completely stoked!

Now I’m 25, still hunt every year. Married with two kids and can’t wait to hopefully make memories with my them as well.

I like this idea. I think I was 13 when I killed my first buck and it involved a freak November snow storm that dumped 3' of snow, a 3 mile round trip hike, probably 1,000' of elevation change, a 3 legged deer that my uncle wrestled to the ground after I shot it, my quads cramping so bad I couldn't walk, and then my dad and uncle dragging my deer over 1 mile out in said snow. It was a deer I won't forget.

Back