• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Deer!!

Empostarr

I'd love to say I got it out of my new saddle, but it was just too cold this morning to be lugging around climbing gear on top of all the cold weather gear I needed. It was the last day and I finally got it done!

I've been hunting deer for 8 years, and until this year I was focused on bagging a 4+ point buck as my first deer, so I passed on lots of opportunities. This year, I finally decided I wanted the meat in the freezer more than a trophy and would take a doe or buck. I hunt some private land, but the landowner only allows hunting bucks, and after the gun opener they all dissappeared, so I've been focusing a lot on public land to be free to take a doe if one came along.

I had lots of opportunity, but also made lots of stupid mistakes. I sold my climber and was waiting for my saddle, so I hunted from the ground most of this season. A chair squeak ruined a shot at a buck, another wouldnt take the one extra step I needed for the shot, and I got too excited and gave one doe a haircut yesterday.

Today though, as I was starting to doze in my chair all bundled up in a stick blind, I heard a snap on my left and without thinking quickly turned my head to see what made it. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a doe head. My heart started thumping and I took a sharp breath while trying to remain motionless. One by one, 4 deer walked about ten feet from me on my left, right by the blind. I was able to get my gun up without them seeing and started aiming at a lane they were all walking through. The first and last doe were shooters, and the first one had made it through the lane before I was ready. The last one stopped and looked dead at me...and then just continued on. I let her walk right into my crosshairs and took a nice quartering away shot. Single lung and heart shot with a muzzle loader at about 15 yards. She ran about 50 yards and dropped. What a way to start the new year!

I did use some of my saddle gear to get her out though! I used my linemans as a thicker pull rope for the sled, and I hung her in my garage using my SRT rope and a ropeman!

Capture+_2021-01-01-20-47-24.pngCapture+_2021-01-01-20-45-27.pngCapture+_2021-01-01-20-50-19.png

That’s awesome man, congratulations and let this just be the start to many more great hunts!!!

Congrats on the first deer and the decision to not wait for a buck. One needs to practice on the real thing before you add the stress of having a nice buck in front of you. Work your way up...

Congratulations. What does that persistence get you? Results. Enjoy that venison.

Back