• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First ever saddle sit last night. First impression

buckwalleye

Long story short - I didn't love it...yet. Maybe its just going to take some getting used to. I'm running the aero hunter kestrel and using the seat of my lone wolf alpha hand climber as my platform. I prepped a bunch of trees on my property with screw in steps. I also bought a set of wildedge stepps for out of state run and gun set ups. So last night I'm hunting my place. I got a SOG ninja pack for a day pack. It's a small pack at 24.2L. Inside are my lineman belt and tether, 32oz nalgene, rangefinder, hooyman folding saw, knife, couple screw in steps. I attached my platform to the outside of the pack using the molle webbing and a couple buckles off my mystery ranch pack. It secures nicely with this method. This all weighs in at 13.2 pounds. This seams heavy to me, especially since I'm not packing in any climbing method. Also no snacks or extra clothes. (I was just out for the last couple hours to hunt and try out the saddle)...So then I'm thinking when I go out of state and have my 3L water bladder, the wild edge steps, food and clothes in pack, I'm gonna be around 25 pounds. Maybe more. I'll be running my mystery ranch pack here too.

A couple other annoyances I noticed. My bino harness was getting in the way of my bridge on the saddle. I ended up putting it in my pack. I'm also running a Blake's hitch on my tether. Maybe it's too long between tether and bridge, but I found that I never adjusted it to go from a more seated position to leaning out. I think I'm going to order a ropeman to shorten that distance. That Blake's hitch really tightens up too after being under tension and its difficult to slide. Also getting the platform up the tree. What are ya'll doing? I had it clipped to my saddle and it was irritating and heavy just hanging off me while climbing.

I gotta say it was a lot different from practicing in the back yard vs. actually hunting. I gotta get this stuff dialed in better. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maybe try a shorter hitch or shorter bridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Th ropeman is WORLDS better than a prussic or Blake’s hitch. Remember that the two most important adjustments for comfort are the bridge length and the tether height.
I primarily lean instead of sit. This reduces hip pinch, and makes adjusting your posture very easy.

I disassembled my platform this year to use my lone wolf as a permanent setup, but I attached it to my backpack when I climbed, or the the very back of my sit drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back