• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Few Sits (incl. ROS vs Platform)

Kroggenk

Had my first few sits in a saddle the last couple days.
First off, I want to thank everyone here for not only the information that has kept me safe in the tree and alive. This community is fantastic, above and beyond.
But second, I want to thank everyone on the classifieds. You all made this possible.

I will never go back to another method. May end up in one of my many ladder stands, but you can bet I’ll never buy another. This method is far superior and eye opening.

I do have a question, however. Is the platform as much of a game changer as some say? I’m set up with sticks and a ring of steps. I can’t imagine it gets much better than this. I’ve been able to maneuver very well with the ROS. Tracked a small buck entirely around a tree on video, no issue whatsoever. Didn’t get spooked, didn’t get bogged down while moving around (and I'm using two bridges and tethers hooked to my rigging plate).

What am I missing? Is the platform that mind blowing?

Thanks in advance and thanks again to everyone here that contributes to helping expand the sport!

Last edited:
I've tried both, it's seems to be po-tay-toe / po-tah-toe for folks. I liked the ros for the reason you stated above, but found that only worked on trees that were straight up and down. My properties seem to only have fugly trees that defy the laws of physics and normalcy or its what God had left over in the parts bin when He made the earth. I like my platform better because my boots barely fit on the ros and I basically had to be pigeon toed the entire hunts. I also like to turn around and look away from the tree and that's too hard for me to do with the ros but with a platform very easy obviously. I think it boils down the person and the way you like to hunt.

I've tried both, it's seems to be po-tay-toe / po-tah-toe for folks. I liked the ros for the reason you stated above, but found that only worked on trees that were straight up and down. My properties seem to only have fugly trees that defy the laws of physics and normalcy or its what God had left over in the parts bin when He made the earth. I like my platform better because my boots barely fit on the ros and I basically had to be pigeon toed the entire hunts. I also like to turn around and look away from the tree and that's too hard for me to do with the ros but with a platform very easy obviously. I think it boils down the person and the way you like to hunt.
So I’m 5’8 155 and decently flexible. I assume this is one reason I don’t mind the steps. I can get entirely turned around, as long as I have me feet positioned securely.
Well, that and the lack of fugly trees.

Last edited:
I have been saddle hunting for over a decade. I have tried just about everything. Ring of steps is my favorite. I have a couple of trees that have been productive year after year. I keep telling myself I’m going to leave a platform AND ROS in those trees, but never have done it. It’s nice to have options.

I will say that a platform is nice if you need to shed clothing or pee, but I still manage those duties just fine with ROS.

If it matters, I’m 6’3” and go 200-210#. I sit about 75% and lean 25%.

I have been saddle hunting for over a decade. I have tried just about everything. Ring of steps is my favorite. I have a couple of trees that have been productive year after year. I keep telling myself I’m going to leave a platform AND ROS in those trees, but never have done it. It’s nice to have options.

I will say that a platform is nice if you need to shed clothing or pee, but I still manage those duties just fine with ROS.

If it matters, I’m 6’3” and go 200-210#. I sit about 75% and lean 25%.
Perfect po-tay-toe / po-tah-toe. I'm 6'2" and 230, I'm 75% lean /25% sit. That is an excellent idea of leaving a method in the tree, wished I'd thought of that. I'm looking at a ridge runner as IMO it's kinda situated between the two. It's wider than my klemz platform but shorter also so I can maneuver around a tree. We'll see how it goes

I have a predator and ameristeps on a OCB for a ROS.. I sit most of the time and prefer the ROS for comfort. For me having 1 leg on each side of the tree is way more comfortable than having my knees together.
I still use my platform if I am going in blind just due to the fact the weak side shot is easier, I hunt trees with a lot of limbs and more times than not I'm not able walk around the tree to even do a weak side shot on a ROS.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back