• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First few sits, yep again...

Camelcluch

SH Member
This is not only first year hunting in a saddle but also first for whitetail. Having a healthy fear of heights is super fun for tree stands. The saddle so far has been good and much easier to get used to than a stand. I have been close to a ton of does and two small bucks so that’s a win. Gear management is the killer for me. However, as a gear junky I have no problem trying stuff out. Right now I’m using small carabiners for 2 sticks and platform. Those suck so next on the list is the j clip from EWO. I have the HME accessory hanger and not loving that but do really like the Hero Clip. I put a command strip with j hook on my quiver and that is good to go. Overall it’s been a good experience in the first few hunts. Now I need to kill something... thanks to you all for the ideas and info.

I'm not a fan of heights either unless I feel secure (nothing moving). How do you ascend the tree (ladder stick, climbing sticks, tree screws, etc..)? How easy is it to maintain your position when maneuvering around the tree, is it easy to slip and flail around?

I'm interested in saddle hunting but, I don't know anyone that does it (I know everyone says that...)

Thanks in advance!

It’s is very strange but I do feel more secure. I think the lineman’s belt is a big part of that. I ascend with sticks. Many options but I’m using beast sticks. Once at top you can move freely. There is a chance of “flailing” but a little practice and you will get your foot and hip positions down. I try to move as slow as possible to keep from over going the limit and practice at about a foot off the ground.
As far as getting started I’m am not in tree stand country. I learned by reading and contacting a few people plus YouTube. If there is an event go and see what they offer but I would not hesitate in trying it out.

How do you like the beast sticks? Are they worth the money? Tried a buddies muddy sticks last weekend and wasn’t a big fan of the individual sticks. I’m used to the ladders.

I have beast sticks, Hawk and timber ninjas. I sent back the TNs. So, with limited knowledge, I do like the beast sticks. Light and stick to everything. They don’t stack the best but I’ve had no issues getting them around. Very solid build. Mine are the 24” stick and at 5’8” I think the mini would fit my stride a little better. I do think they are worth it but some may not. This off season I will look at catalyst and Tethrd. The weight is very appealing for elk hunting here in Colorado.

Saddle is much more comfortable and safer. No transition to stand. You are attatched and secure the whole time. The chances of saddle breaking is far surpassed by ratchet straps, bolts and slips from tree stand. I have had plenty of close calls over the decades using stands. Not one with a saddle

Well had some more learnings today. First, make the loops on the hanging cord for sticks and platform big to make it easier when using j hooks and you can’t feel your hands. 2, when you can’t feel your hands and shiz is everywhere, just place items like your lineman’s rope in your pack. Yep you guessed it, I dropped my lineman’s rope on the frozen walk out tonight. 3, if you have extra gear like rope, carabiners and Ropemens, bring it on the trip.
My parents always said I like learning the hard way. It’s like they knew me...

I tried the J hooks this year and I had to go back to the D clips. Accidentally sent my 4th stick to the ground off the J hook when I stepped up to the second step of my third stick. ‘Twas a long pissed off climb back down. No I use the J clips when in the stand to hang things like quiver and such.

Well I learned something else tonight. It’s hard to get in the tree without a saddle. Yep, forgot it in the truck. Gear management, sheesh.
I kinda wish I could’ve seen the look on your face when you realized that one lol don’t feel too bad. I left my quiver with all my arrows in my truck the other day. Didn’t notice until I was about a mile from the truck. Too excited to get out hunting after work

I have beast sticks, Hawk and timber ninjas. I sent back the TNs. So, with limited knowledge, I do like the beast sticks. Light and stick to everything. They don’t stack the best but I’ve had no issues getting them around. Very solid build. Mine are the 24” stick and at 5’8” I think the mini would fit my stride a little better. I do think they are worth it but some may not. This off season I will look at catalyst and Tethrd. The weight is very appealing for elk hunting here in Colorado.
Why did you send the TN sticks back if you don’t mind my asking

A few reasons. One was the depth was very small. I wear an 8.5 boot and could only get my toe on the step. It just didn’t feel safe. Second, the rope attachment stretched like crazy. I tied a double figure 8 and dropped several inches. Kind of petty but for the money they need to be solid. Some others said the stand offs flexed but I’m only 160# and didn’t notice that much. I think they will be a great option once they get things tightened up. Good people.

Back