• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First grey ghost of the coast

tailgunner

It took my dad 5 years to get his first blacktailed deer,and 15 years to harvest his first mature buck...so i fallowed that exact stratagie.5 years and 15 yrars to harvest my first mature buck.for dificulty refrence i harvested 2 nice bull elk and 2 nice Black bears first.plus 10 years developing my own style of hunting saddle.i started by hunting one buck on sykes mt.for three years befor i got a shot at him.i jumped him in the reprod and cought him trying to circle me down wind.looked like an easy shot but he was already spooked and jumped my string....as he crouched to jump i saw 2 inches of air between my arrow and his back...clean miss.well...in that reprod is a giant marker tree with a dead head that can be seen for 10 miles.my arrow Stuck in that tree of shame that i have been looking at from miles away down in kings valley all theses years.huge buck...ruined me.this year i didnt even think i would get to hunt cuzz im suposed to be building a house but the most high has his own plans.this years journy started with a bull elk without realy scouting.Screenshot_20230917_045231_Gallery.jpg

Couple little bucks is all...started solo hunting across the willamette valley on Thomas creek in the cascades for fun.take a try at the phantom blacktail of mccully mt.just an aparition thoughScreenshot_20231027_075026_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231027_074936_Gallery.jpgget to the top of that ridge back there in the timber and find thisScreenshot_20231027_074952_Gallery.jpgto high up out of the weather , so back to the west side

Last edited:
Down in the west side of the valley is a placé called Cooper hallow where i just bought land to build a house on ,next to my Inlaws 40 Acker tree farm.slash doe farm...well the rut is on so even though i only see does out here i desided to climb a tree on my side of the property line where i put up a preset 16 foot ladder stick with a platform on the top of it.sat in my coast ghost saddle.and saw a grey ghost chasing a doe.barked at him and he stopped while i drew.he took 3 more steps when i stopped him with a second bark.arrows flying....it Was my first time tracking blood in the evening as its getting dark and raining.but the blood was good .he went down to the creek bottom through all the nasty stuff and exspired in a little opening.its my first deer off climbing gear instead of branches.its my first mature buck and my first deer on my own land.in oregon it doesnt count because it was taken on private land.but i can brag to my friends here Who would call it an 8 pointer...instead of a 3 point with eye guards...traditionaly we dont get to hunt this week it is a youth hunt,but they set our seasons back a week this yesr alowing us to hunt right in the heart of the rut for the first time and most of my crew tagged out...just 1 homie left.Screenshot_20231104_221726_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231104_064933_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231104_064943_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Did you take a picture of your set up or what the area you were hunting looks like? I don’t mean the on top of the mountain pics, I mean like from on the stand. How far was the shot?

Back