• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First hang in the Kestrel report

dalton916

SH Member
Goodbye, SitDrag, you served me well, but this Kestrel is wayyyyy more comfortable.

Bridge length on the Kestrel is way too long for my liking. Maybe someone can sell me on why it needs to be that long, but it’s going to take some convincing. Perhaps the length was a big factor in how comfortable this thing is? I don’t know, but it’s got to be shortened because with my tether as high as I can reach I run out of room to slide the prussic up before I get to the position I like. As is with my knees against the tree my thighs are slightly above parallel which is lower than I like. I think I’m going with a prussic/carabiner setup on the bridge until I find the length I’m looking for.

The back band is heaven. Shortening the bridge is going to bite into the amount of play I have with the back band, but I can already tell you it will NOT be going away so I’ll modify it as need be, lol. Walking in the back band was getting on my nerves a bit, but for the trip out I figured out how I want to carry it; out the pack on, slide the back band up then buckle the pack’s waist belt. Back band wasn’t felt and never moved. Winning combo.

I always wore my SitDrag in and out and between it, the RCH and my pack there was always something annoying going on. I wore the Kestrel in and honestly never felt it. Awesome.

I’ve seen several folks complain about the reinforcements inside the bridge loops stopping short, apparently AH decided y’all might be onto something because mine don’t.

I’ve seen several folks complain about the lineman’s belt loops being too far back, either mine are more forward or y’all some finicky folks. Seemed perfect to me.

I’ve seen several folks complain about the the lineman’s loops being too small, I wouldn’t want them any smaller, but I thought they were fine.

I’m used to having two pouches on my SitDrag and stuffing my lineman’s belt in one while hanging and my tether in the other while walking in and out. I left them in the truck today and gave the daisy chaining the lineman’s belt a go. Not bad. I’ll probably continue doing this for a while because I actually think it’s easier and definitely quieter than using the pouch. The tether is another story though. I had it in my pack on the way in then when I got to the tree I realized I needed to come up with a way of getting it up the tree with me. I slid the prussic all the way down, clipped it to the loop, doubled it and hung it over by head and shoulder. That’s also the way I carried it out since my steps and platform were strapped to my pack.

I’ve seen several people complain about the small molle loops on the back of the Kestrel and, while I didn’t use them for anything, I did reach back and slip my finger in them to check the size. The loops are not large, that’s for sure, but I don’t envision me using them from the tree. If I want anything hanging on them it will be something I attach at home and leave.

Hmmmmmm......I guess that’s about it for now, lol.

If you have a sewing machine or speedy stitcher, take a knife and cut the thread connecting the strap to the pad on your back band about 4” or so on each side. Slow and careful. Then sew back and forth several times across the strap to secure once again to the pad. This will give you extra adjustment. There’s probably an old thread on this you could search. I’ll take pictures of mine at some point this morning.

I found the stock Kestrel bridge far too long as well and had the same issue when setting the tether. I shortened it by about a foot and am glad I did.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have 3 sewing machines and have made a lot gear so I will definitely do that if I need to, thanks!

af7d0561b1e0cb0298003b6cb607d002.jpg

I cut loose between my fingers

e14cfbee9a7bb23cfbed6866ce6b2755.jpg

Then tacked across the webbing where I wanted the connection to be.

bb711b9c9d026eee07208ddb050d88d3.jpg

Then there’s this much extra adjustment on each side.

Side note - sew a piece of webbing to either end of the back rest, then put a side release buckle on it. You can use this to go across your chest to compress bulky layers that might interfere with bow string. I haven’t done this yet, but I have used the backrest connected to itself to do the same thing(obviously it was no longer a backrest at that point).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never used any other type of saddle and or sit drag set up but I also find the Kestral to be amazingly comfortable and with a little tweaks and adjustments each time it gets better each sit.
I also believe that the bridge is too long and I know this may not be the proper way to use a saddle set up but I have found that I permanently set my tether Height then use A rope man number one on my bridge and adjust that when I need to take shots.

The only real complaint that I have is the small cheap carabiners and rope they use to attach the backstrap to the bridge I have changed mine to a little heavier duty set up. It's not so much that I didn't trust its strength or durability it was more of the backstrap sliding up and down the bridge as the pursik knots come loose when there was no tension on it and not allowing the pursik knot to bite and set on the bridge. IMG_1823.JPG

I have never used any other type of saddle and or sit drag set up but I also find the Kestral to be amazingly comfortable and with a little tweaks and adjustments each time it gets better each sit.
I also believe that the bridge is too long and I know this may not be the proper way to use a saddle set up but I have found that I permanently set my tether Height then use A rope man number one on my bridge and adjust that when I need to take shots.

The only real complaint that I have is the small cheap carabiners and rope they use to attach the backstrap to the bridge I have changed mine to a little heavier duty set up. It's not so much that I didn't trust its strength or durability it was more of the backstrap sliding up and down the bridge as the pursik knots come loose when there was no tension on it and not allowing the pursik knot to bite and set on the bridge. View attachment 7936

Most people are swapping their hardware out on the back band, you’re not alone.

I found some really small steel biners that work perfect. The Prussics they supplied work fine for me though.

Great idea (modifying the back band, didn’t notice the other replies before I answered)

I had zero issues with the small prussic slipping either. And I didn’t think anything about the small carabiners either until read this, lol. I clipped the loop end of my pull up rope to it.

Goodbye, SitDrag, you served me well, but this Kestrel is wayyyyy more comfortable.

Bridge length on the Kestrel is way too long for my liking. Maybe someone can sell me on why it needs to be that long, but it’s going to take some convincing. Perhaps the length was a big factor in how comfortable this thing is? I don’t know, but it’s got to be shortened because with my tether as high as I can reach I run out of room to slide the prussic up before I get to the position I like. As is with my knees against the tree my thighs are slightly above parallel which is lower than I like. I think I’m going with a prussic/carabiner setup on the bridge until I find the length I’m looking for.

The back band is heaven. Shortening the bridge is going to bite into the amount of play I have with the back band, but I can already tell you it will NOT be going away so I’ll modify it as need be, lol. Walking in the back band was getting on my nerves a bit, but for the trip out I figured out how I want to carry it; out the pack on, slide the back band up then buckle the pack’s waist belt. Back band wasn’t felt and never moved. Winning combo.

I always wore my SitDrag in and out and between it, the RCH and my pack there was always something annoying going on. I wore the Kestrel in and honestly never felt it. Awesome.

I’ve seen several folks complain about the reinforcements inside the bridge loops stopping short, apparently AH decided y’all might be onto something because mine don’t.

I’ve seen several folks complain about the lineman’s belt loops being too far back, either mine are more forward or y’all some finicky folks. Seemed perfect to me.

I’ve seen several folks complain about the the lineman’s loops being too small, I wouldn’t want them any smaller, but I thought they were fine.

I’m used to having two pouches on my SitDrag and stuffing my lineman’s belt in one while hanging and my tether in the other while walking in and out. I left them in the truck today and gave the daisy chaining the lineman’s belt a go. Not bad. I’ll probably continue doing this for a while because I actually think it’s easier and definitely quieter than using the pouch. The tether is another story though. I had it in my pack on the way in then when I got to the tree I realized I needed to come up with a way of getting it up the tree with me. I slid the prussic all the way down, clipped it to the loop, doubled it and hung it over by head and shoulder. That’s also the way I carried it out since my steps and platform were strapped to my pack.

I’ve seen several people complain about the small molle loops on the back of the Kestrel and, while I didn’t use them for anything, I did reach back and slip my finger in them to check the size. The loops are not large, that’s for sure, but I don’t envision me using them from the tree. If I want anything hanging on them it will be something I attach at home and leave.

Hmmmmmm......I guess that’s about it for now, lol.

Just out of curiosity, what made you go Kestrel over Kite?

Update from this afternoon’s hunt: I shortened my bridge by about 9” and the comfort was the same. I may take a few more inches out of it, but time will tell.

This evening I killed a doe that was at my 5 o’clock and I’m sold. This is by far the most comfortable method of hunting I have ever tried and I’ve been at it for 45 years. I had another deer at my 7 o’clock, both within 40yds, and was easily able to maneuver to both of them with neither of them seeing or hearing anything. I wound up turning to my left putting the tree on my right side to shoot.

Love this thing, lol.

Update from this afternoon’s hunt: I shortened my bridge by about 9” and the comfort was the same. I may take a few more inches out of it, but time will tell.

This evening I killed a doe that was at my 5 o’clock and I’m sold. This is by far the most comfortable method of hunting I have ever tried and I’ve been at it for 45 years. I had another deer at my 7 o’clock, both within 40yds, and was easily able to maneuver to both of them with neither of them seeing or hearing anything. I wound up turning to my left putting the tree on my right side to shoot.

Love this thing, lol.

That’s awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love this thing, lol.
YES! This is awesome!!!!

When you keep an open mind, and are willing to try new things, great things happen. Imagine that...

Glad it worked out for you and congrats on your first saddle kill!

Back