• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First hunt of the season amnesia.

firehunter

Am I the only one who gets so excited to be hunting again I forget basic stuff? The other day was my first sit of the year and even after some practice sits I screwed the pooch. I forgot to put something to drink in my pack and forgot my backup battery for my phone (need my phone at all times because my wife has MS and I need to be in touch at all times). Then I get to the tree and start my climb and fumble around a bit but not to bad until I get to the top and realize I didn't take my platform out of my pack and now need to get my pack off and dig it out at the top of my climb which I hate doing. But even after all of that it was great to be back out in a tree. Oh and the new Trophyline knee pads are so comfortable compared to my amazon arcteryx knock offs.

Funny, wasn't my first outing. But I have to confess, went on afternoon hunt, feeling rushed. Got up tree and went to pull now up... Didn't hook my pull rope to my bow! Seriously chuckled a bit and told myself to slow down!

Funny, wasn't my first outing. But I have to confess, went on afternoon hunt, feeling rushed. Got up tree and went to pull now up... Didn't hook my pull rope to my bow! Seriously chuckled a bit and told myself to slow down!
Yea when I got to the top and reached for my platform on the back of my saddle I laughed at myself also. Excitement gets to the best of us.

Got completely set in a tree and realized I forgot my bow stabilizer.
I forgot my release one time on an afternoon sit. Instead of running back to the truck to grab it I decided that I would just release with my fingers if need be (something I haven’t done with a compound in 20 years). Of course I ended up having a doe come in at 20 yards perfect broadside. When I drew back my arrow kept coming off my drop away and I had to twist my fingers to keep it down. When I let the arrow go it went about 4’ over the deers back on what otherwise should have been an easy shot.

My biggest problem my first sit was overpacking and couldnt find anything once up in the tree without completely emptying my pack then it wouldnt be there, would have to empty another section of my pack to find the tree strap while holding back pack. I was a complete hot mess,
BUT I HAD A CHEESY SMILE ON MY FACE THE WHOLE TIME....It was a great weekend!!

Back