• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First kill from the JX3

This morning I had a great hunt in my JX3 and only my second hunt out of it. I was blessed with a nice fat doe with my muzzleloader. I set up in a newly logged area where there are several oaks that are dropping acorns hard. Yesterday I went up one of the drag roads to see if any deer had crossed it after the recent rain showers. There was several places with fresh tracks coming out of the cut. This morning I went in before day break, climbed a tree which I had to go around a couple of limbs which is the first time I had to do that. I used my tether rope as a second lineman rope to go around them. Once settled in I found that when I tethered off on a large limb a little out from the main trunk it caused my bridge to be almost straight up in front of me with the JX3 whale tail extended to the tree. So I moved the tether closer to the trunk where the limb came off. This worked out for this hunt. I learned that with the JX3 if I tether to the trunk I can maneuver around the tree better than I can when tethered from a limb even if tethered close to the trunk. Several things learned today with the saddle, I got to say I love it.
As to the actual hunt I saw 14 does and fawns total. Had a great learning experience with setting up my JX3 on a limb tree. Killing the doe this morning makes 42 years straight that I have been fortunate enough to take at least one deer. I married my lovely wife in 1978 killed my second deer ever that season and have killed at least one every year since. I'll turn 61 at the end of the month, just started saddle hunting but wish I had know about this hunting style a long time ago. I am truly blessed.
Analyzing the hunt came down to scouting for the freshest sign possible. Not much buck sign, cameras are only getting night pictures of bucks but I know now where a doe concentration is which will give me a good start when the rut comes around.

Back