• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Practice Off the Ground

sweats

So today was my first chance to practice off the ground. My setup is comprised of a kestrel kit, 4 Muddy Pro sticks (2018 version), and a predator platform.

I only ended up using 3 sticks since I figured that was high enough for first practice (actually I dropped the 4th one and didn't feel like climbing down after it). It was a little awkward at first, but all in all it went ok. I learned quite a few things such as a tree I can comfortably wrap my arms around and interlace my fingers is about the right size. I also need to tighten the bolts on some of my sticks as there was more play than I would have liked on a couple of them.

I definitely need a lot more practice, but it was fun once I got up there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Great day to get practice in. I just got done using permethrin on my hunting clothes, so now time to practice climbing tree's in the back yard! Wild Edge Cain method.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

So today was my first chance to practice off the ground. My setup is comprised of a kestrel kit, 4 Muddy Pro sticks (2018 version), and a predator platform.

I only ended up using 3 sticks since I figured that was high enough for first practice (actually I dropped the 4th one and didn't feel like climbing down after it). It was a little awkward at first, but all in all it went ok. I learned quite a few things such as a tree I can comfortably wrap my arms around and interlace my fingers is about the right size. I also need to tighten the bolts on some of my sticks as there was more play than I would have liked on a couple of them.

I definitely need a lot more practice, but it was fun once I got up there.

Keep after it, confidence in your system is key. Definitely check all bolts on muddy sticks, they’re quality control ain’t what it used to be....

Practicing is a great idea for sure! Make sure you work out your kinks at ground level before you move up the tree!

I had to do the same thing with my new Muddy Pros. I actually just tightened them as tight as I could and will not be folding them up at all.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I had to do the same thing with my new Muddy Pros. I actually just tightened them as tight as I could and will not be folding them up at all.

Yeah, I may do the same. When I was putting them together, I was trying to not tighten them too much so that I could open and close without too much trouble, but that shifting is no good.

Man I'm not going to lie..... Spinning around on this platform at 2' is way different than doing it at 20'. Lol I am just using my rock climbing harness at this point until my Mantis shows up......I still feel quite unstable at this point.
a654419803a94b825b8c941180be3a89.jpg

That's normal. Don't sweat it. Give it some time and you'll get there. One thing that really helps is to flip upside down and try to fall out of it. You'll see its virtually impossible.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Man I'm not going to lie..... Spinning around on this platform at 2' is way different than doing it at 20'. Lol I am just using my rock climbing harness at this point until my Mantis shows up......I still feel quite unstable at this point.

I think the best thing I did was to use my setup for scouting this year. Every time I went out I had everything with me, short of my bow. I would climb trees, pick my height, and climb back down. I even use the entire system to climb nearby trees that need a bit of pruning so my lanes are clear. As a result, I ended up climbing big trees, small trees, sketchy trees and leaning trees. Plus, it is just fun.

I happened to do another practice run Sunday. The wife and I were scouting over the weekend so I decided to test one of my planned spots the next day.

I am going to shorten my bridge a few more inches. I was having to tether way over my head and it was kind of awkward and also created a pretty vertical bridge angle. It wasn't uncomfortable, but the bridge was more in the way than I think it should be. Other than that, I think I'm about set on my kit, but we will see after my first all day sit.

While I was up there practicing, a small buck walked up and bedded about 40 yards from me which was really cool. He hung around for quite a while. I spooked him climbing down because he had moved into some thicker brush and I didn't realize he was still there.

I took a few pictures, but don't know how to post them here.

Practicing is a great idea for sure! Make sure you work out your kinks at ground level before you move up the tree!
Set up just a few feet off the ground with the platform first to get a feel and then move up with your climbing method, or start off with climbing method?

Set up just a few feet off the ground with the platform first to get a feel and then move up with your climbing method, or start off with climbing method?

Start with no climbing method first. Just platform and saddle.

Back