• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Saddle and bow deer!

I had always used a crossbow as I am a disabled veteran with a shoulder that got crushed after being thrown out of a hummer.

I finally have gotten strong enough after 3 surgeries to pull a bow again without much pain.

Today I was doing a dry run, I thought, just to get used to a saddle. I just got my predator and got a Mantis off of a non archery related site so I was finally ready to get in a tree.

The evening started with a doe winding me from behind. Then at 6:15, this doe walked in off of a trail I didn’t expect.

I thought if she got within 10 yards I would shoot her. She did and I did too.

I understand now about quartering and top angles. I put a great shoulder shot on her but it exited the gut.

It was a great time but my tree selection needs to improve. I set up in a skinny honey locust and was uncomfortable because of not knowing how to sit or lean as the tree did away with every movement.

Needless to say I am hooked!

a4be6fdc0253613d1275889dd91346e5.jpg

9781d161f3e300af85ace0ceff8c0a19.jpg

My arrow

f993a2196fb8943911986bab6ba9cee6.jpg

My little doe!! Lol

edc43fe3721e046e182033af0b081bac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dude, me too tonight, first bow deer I get to eat, there were 3 others that I killed but lost the meat. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I had always used a crossbow as I am a disabled veteran with a shoulder that got crushed after being thrown out of a hummer.

I finally have gotten strong enough after 3 surgeries to pull a bow again without much pain.

Today I was doing a dry run, I thought, just to get used to a saddle. I just got my predator and got a Mantis off of a non archery related site so I was finally ready to get in a tree.

The evening started with a doe winding me from behind. Then at 6:15, this doe walked in off of a trail I didn’t expect.

I thought if she got within 10 yards I would shoot her. She did and I did too.

I understand now about quartering and top angles. I put a great shoulder shot on her but it exited the gut.

It was a great time but my tree selection needs to improve. I set up in a skinny honey locust and was uncomfortable because of not knowing how to sit or lean as the tree did away with every movement.

Needless to say I am hooked!

a4be6fdc0253613d1275889dd91346e5.jpg

9781d161f3e300af85ace0ceff8c0a19.jpg

My arrow

f993a2196fb8943911986bab6ba9cee6.jpg

My little doe!! Lol

edc43fe3721e046e182033af0b081bac.jpg

Congrats! A good start to your season!

First, I want to thank you for your service and am glad you are healing from your injury.
Way to go man!! Congrats on your new found success to saddlehunting!

Happy for you. Where are you at in the great state of wisconsin? I live in michigan on the border with Marinette. North of Green Bay if you're not familiar.

Near Madison with a second home in Tomahawk area

Back