• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Saddle Build - kite/mantis clone

shwacker

New to saddle hunting, haven’t even hunted in a saddle yet. Got a sit drag and decided to build a saddle from scratch VS a bunch of sit drags mods. Had never seen before a couple weeks ago. Bought a antique singer 99k and researched some materials and got to work. Happy with the turnout. Checked stitch strength VS my truck and I broke the webbing and the stitch held, so I feel very safe in this thing and confident in my stitching even though it’s not all that pretty. Already modded a few API sticks so besides maybe an upgrade to a ropeman, I’m ready to start practicing and be proficient for hunting with it next season.

IMG_3626.jpgIMG_3624.jpgIMG_3623.jpgIMG_3622.jpgIMG_3618.jpgIMG_3611.jpgA83539D0-D664-4136-9B7B-89B89B9F4B64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Great work! I like your pack setup too. Thinking about trying something similar as I can't find a pack that's right for me.

That's awesome man! Have you ever sewed before this?

No. This old singer is very basic so was easy to get started.

It’s def a 10ft stitch job, like a 10 ft paint job... they aren’t all pretty but it’s functional and I feel safe with it

Do you remember the dimensions of your pattern?

6f5b1b1f3375b0ec49aadc270cc7da45.jpg

I found this after I made mine. I like mine a little better but this is very close and a good starting point depending on your size.

Mine is 22” across, 10” down sides and 12 down in the middle. Right around 90” for the main webbing. I built the webbing and waist belt to size.

Looks great! You guys have some serious injecting skills! I would watch the tag end of your water knot on your bridge, it just looks like there is not much there and if slips, which I know it shouldnt, you will have an issue :)

Yep, I put stitches behind them now, and actually plan to sew the bridge on now that I have a length I’m happy with

Last edited:
Back