• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First saddle hunt using ninjas aider and stirrups

midTNhunter

Nov 10, 2018
Had my first saddle hunt today. I used rc harness+sitdrag. Two ropemans on the tether- one connected to my rc harness and the other i clipped into my bridge once at hunting height.

For climbing i used ninjas 5 step aider method. Mine is black diamond alpine aider. Had some issues with kickout perhaps due to thin webbing or smallish diameter tree.

For platform i tried to recreate ninjas stirrups using 24” climbing slings. I think they were too long though. Feet kept sliding around to backside of tree making noise on the way. Think next sit i can shorten them by wrapping a few times around the cam buckle strap.

Took longer to climb but significantly more quiet than my climbing tree stand.

Also any tips for crossbow users welcome. Felt really cumbersome. But may be that my tether was too high at hunting height.

Anywho saw 6 deer tonight it was a great day in the woods.

Thanks to all contributors on this forum its been super helpful getting kit together!

Attachments

• E523392A-C69F-4026-8A32-6B5F4A1C6DDF.jpeg
    E523392A-C69F-4026-8A32-6B5F4A1C6DDF.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 67

bigjoe

Jan 10, 2015
VA
It takes practice to get fast using a saddle. However, once you get your system down it will be as fast or almost as fast as a climber. I am going to be practicing climbing with a Lone Wolf seat this year. Just to have another trick in the arsenal.

Reactions: Tapeworm and rutjr

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
Had my first saddle hunt today. I used rc harness+sitdrag. Two ropemans on the tether- one connected to my rc harness and the other i clipped into my bridge once at hunting height.

For climbing i used ninjas 5 step aider method. Mine is black diamond alpine aider. Had some issues with kickout perhaps due to thin webbing or smallish diameter tree.

For platform i tried to recreate ninjas stirrups using 24” climbing slings. I think they were too long though. Feet kept sliding around to backside of tree making noise on the way. Think next sit i can shorten them by wrapping a few times around the cam buckle strap.

Took longer to climb but significantly more quiet than my climbing tree stand.

Also any tips for crossbow users welcome. Felt really cumbersome. But may be that my tether was too high at hunting height.

Anywho saw 6 deer tonight it was a great day in the woods.

Thanks to all contributors on this forum its been super helpful getting kit together!

With a cross bow stand lean back and shoot making sure the crossbow limbs clear the tree. Sitting and shooting is possible but your Ability to Maneuver is greatly reduced while sitting. It is awkward in a sitting position because you are so close to the tree and your bridge is in the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

noxninja

Dec 21, 2015
I personally don't like climbing a smaller diameter tree (not that I won't), and that may have been part of the issue. I typically want a tree wide enough that I can make contact with my knee pads as I face the tree. Smaller trees have you doing a balancing act between knee caps. :) Sounds like your setup was great! It just takes practice and the more you do it, the more you will get your technique down. I to tried longer stirrups but did not like them leading me to move to the shorter ones. A good rule of thumb for me is when I get to climbing height I sit down in the RCH and move the stirrups to knee height, stick my feet in them and then pull up on the ropeman 1 as I stand up. Then I clip my saddle into the top biner and then lower the RCH biner until I am sitting comfortably. Once I am satisfied with my saddle position I take the rest of the tension off of the RCH and get to hunting! :)

Bwhana

SH Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hickory, NC
The other recommendation I have for xbow (and gun for that matter) is to practice shooting with your opposite hand. I am right handed, but simply switch to shoot left handed when a deer comes on my right side. I have also found that I do not need a ring of steps or platform like most bow shooters by doing this. I just use 2 cranford screw in steps at 4 and 8 o'clock positions and I can use those and the top step with nothing else needed. Now that I saddle hunt, I'm actually glad my shoulder went bad and have to use the xbow, saves weight and movement!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

cb750

Nov 18, 2017
SWO
Along the same lines as above when the opportunity allows practice your fire positions from your set up. I find it allows you time to look over your setup and ensure your limbs will clear and arrow will clear anything close up. I found a great shooting position for mine leaned forward slightly so my string and limbs cleared the trunk. Glad I practiced it because that's the one I shot my buck from that night. I had the crossbow resting across my bridge prior to the shot. It reduced the amount of movement I had to make.

Sheldon

Oct 30, 2018
Thanks much that was very helpful I did one of those kick outs the first time I tried. Also did you tape or something on your aider steps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N1ChBryant

Oct 13, 2018
Ramona Ok
I've tried many different climbing methods but this is what i use exclusively now. I find it to be lighter and safer than any other method by far. Thank you Ninja for showing us all how to perfect this method....cant roll with the stirrups tho, my predator gets the nod every time i set up.