• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Saddle Hunt

blatallic

This past weekend, I had my first saddle hunt. I was in the saddle for about 4.5 hours. I used bolts to get up the tree and was up around 20 feet. I kept remembering everything Greg said in his youtube channel about trusting your gear. I'm hunting out of a mantis. It was a little weird slowly leaning on your bridge but after like 30 minutes, I was comfortable with the idea of leaning and sitting and spinning round to my weak side.

I have to say that I'm 50/50 at the moment. I leaned half the time and I sat half of the time. Sitting definitely put a lot more pressure on my hips. It was a little painful after an hour or so but I know that "saddle condition" is a thing so I just kept going and pushing forward. I did not see any deer on this sit. But it was the opener for gun season so maybe not the best day but I wanted to try out the setup. I used the predator and I was very pleased with it. I did notice that when I leaned out to make a weak side shot, the platform moved a little bit. Greg on one of his videos, where he's demonstrating the difference between platform and ROS, he leans out while using the platform. After the platform moved a little, I decided it would be best to stand on the platform and turn my body. Which I noticed that Greg did after watching the video he talks about hunting positions on the predator.

My hips are still sore/numb from Sunday's sit but I felt safe in the tree. Hopefully, I can harvest something this next weekend. I've used the Lonewolf and summit climber in the past. Summit is very comfortable BUT to bulky to carry in the woods. I'm hunting in East Texas and I think the saddle is ideal for this environment. I just need to watch the bridge as I'm going up and down on the tree since it would get caught on the climbing bolts. I think Tethrd has a winner here!

Last edited:
Back