• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Saddle Hunt

sweats

So yesterday was my first actual hunt from the saddle. It took me a while to get setup since I'm still new to it. My setup consists of a kestrel kit, this year's muddy pro sticks, and a predator platform.

I saw several does and a spike in the morning. Midday I decided to switch the side of the tree I was on since most deer were coming in behind me and I wasn't seeing them until they were right up on me.

Later that afternoon, I saw a deer through the brush walking the creek bed to my left. I could see antlers, but I didn't expect him to come out since he was following the creek bed. To my surprise, he turned and stepped out and I was able to harvest him.

It was a brutal drag that was somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of a mile, but was a really cool experience. I haven't gotten a deer in the last 3 or 4 years I started hunting again, and the last once I got was 18 or 19 years ago in school. He's only an 8 point, but I'm pretty happy with him.

I'm still getting used to it and have some tweaks to make, but I really like the saddle. I was able to move around the tree and follow where he was traveling for the shot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back