• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First saddle hunt

Rod Johnson

I took my time to make sure I was being safe, I was really anticipating a longer set-up time, I tied on 12 stepps and a platform and had an arrow knocked in 46 min, this was a hang and hunt, never hunted here before, im sure I will be able to shave some time off after I get more familiar with everything, how long does it take some of you guys that's been at this a while??
5934dcc5547ffe83d1950d0d03ea8b72.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Practice definitely helps. My first set up took 45 min by my fifth time i was down to 18 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did a video on this, that will be posted in a few days. It takes me 6:30 from the time that I get to the tree to the time that I am set with a arrow knocked at 18-21 feet. This is not busting butt trying to get up the tree either. This is just taking my time, doing my thing. Details of where you place your next stick/step, platform placement, tree strap height, bow hanger placement, the details from the little things that make a complete climb will help speed your climb up.

Thanks,
Boswell

I just did a video on this, that will be posted in a few days. It takes me 6:30 from the time that I get to the tree to the time that I am set with a arrow knocked at 18-21 feet. This is not busting butt trying to get up the tree either. This is just taking my time, doing my thing. Details of where you place your next stick/step, platform placement, tree strap height, bow hanger placement, the details from the little things that make a complete climb will help speed your climb up.

Thanks,
Boswell
How many stepps are u using to get to that height?

Average 15-20 mins. 3 LW sticks with each having single aider mod installed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
3 Sticks with Aiders: 8-10 minutes
Spurs: 5-7 minutes

These times are generalizations and depend on the tree (limbs, diameter, lean) and how quiet I need to be (bedding area, funnel, field edge).

Thanks,
Boswell
I am not sure how you get 18 feet from 4 muddy sticks. Even covering 4 feet per stick which is unlikely you only get 16 feet to foot level.
With two long aiders I can get 16 feet from two muddy sticks.
Now my head height is 6 feet higher or 20 feet. If you are 18 to 21 feet at the top of your head it might make sense.
Just wondering and would like to see the video. I would agree with you about the simplicity and speed of muddy sticks. They are what I usually use with an two aiders. The first aider and stick usually gets me at least 9 feet.

46 minutes. Omg Bro you need sticks man. You had to been dripping wet with sweat when finally settled. Im in my set up in 5-7 minutes. If nothing goes wrong of course

46 minutes. Omg Bro you need sticks man. You had to been dripping wet with sweat when finally settled. Im in my set up in 5-7 minutes. If nothing goes wrong of course

I was taking it very slow,
This was the very first time I had ever used a saddle or the stepps,I just got my kestrel Thursday

This was the very first time I had ever used a saddle or the stepps,I just got my kestrel Thursday

That was smart and I would continue to do that. Plan for it when heading in - quite a few of us trying to get this first year under our belts - and it does get better

That was smart and I would continue to do that. Plan for it when heading in - quite a few of us trying to get this first year under our belts - and it does get better

The second sit this weekend I had already cut 10 min off

t

Yup take it slow, methodical, and SAFE. Speed comes later. I do think sticks are faster IMO>

t

Yup take it slow, methodical, and SAFE. Speed comes later. I do think sticks are faster IMO>

This is true. Give yourself plenty of time to setup so you don't have to rush. Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. When you hurry, you make mistakes.

Going up the tree is usually 7-10 minutes for me now. Getting a shooting lane in or dealing with branches is where I get hung up.

You'll get better with time and practice. With my spikes I'm down to around 5 minutes or so from standing at the base of the tree to standing on my platform. It takes me a little time to slowly setup my camera gear but I usually have my bow hanging and ready so I can take my time and still shoot one if it would happen to come in.

What is all of y'alls preferred sticks? What is a "long aider"?

Pics, or even videos of what you do would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure how you get 18 feet from 4 muddy sticks. Even covering 4 feet per stick which is unlikely you only get 16 feet to foot level.

I do measure to my saddle, because that is where I am at.
I have long legs and stretch things,
Bottom of first stick goes mid thigh to point of hip (30-37"), ~30"
First stick, step to step 18"
Space between stick 1 and 2 ~27"
Stick two 18"
Spacing between stick 2 and 3 ~27"
Stick three 18"
Spacing between stick 3 and 4 ~27"
Stick four 18"
Spacing between stick 4 and platform ~27"
Ground to platform ~210" / 12" = 17.5 feet to platform + 2.5 ft to my saddle =20ft

I use a very precise system to climb. When I am standing on the bottom step of one stick, I place the top of the second stick between chin height(64") and about forehead height (69"). If you subtract the length of both sticks(18x2=36") you get a 28-32" step spacing(This depends on amount of clothes). I also gain a lot on that first step, I feel I can stretch that step a lot, by taking a step back to help get my leg that high. So I take advantage of that first step. For my long legs 27" is a comfortable stretch, this is why I am looking at a DIY stick. To have a stick that matches my stride length, I am loosing 3' by using the short muddy sticks. IF I went to a 25" stick with a 25" stride and the same 30" first stick I could get to 19' with 4 sticks.

Thanks,
Boswell

I do measure to my saddle, because that is where I am at.
I have long legs and stretch things,
Bottom of first stick goes mid thigh to point of hip (30-37"), ~30"
First stick, step to step 18"
Space between stick 1 and 2 ~27"
Stick two 18"
Spacing between stick 2 and 3 ~27"
Stick three 18"
Spacing between stick 3 and 4 ~27"
Stick four 18"
Spacing between stick 4 and platform ~27"
Ground to platform ~210" / 12" = 17.5 feet to platform + 2.5 ft to my saddle =20ft

I use a very precise system to climb. When I am standing on the bottom step of one stick, I place the top of the second stick between chin height(64") and about forehead height (69"). If you subtract the length of both sticks(18x2=36") you get a 28-32" step spacing(This depends on amount of clothes). I also gain a lot on that first step, I feel I can stretch that step a lot, by taking a step back to help get my leg that high. So I take advantage of that first step. For my long legs 27" is a comfortable stretch, this is why I am looking at a DIY stick. To have a stick that matches my stride length, I am loosing 3' by using the short muddy sticks. IF I went to a 25" stick with a 25" stride and the same 30" first stick I could get to 19' with 4 sticks.

Thanks,
Boswell

I guess I need longer legs and yoga classes to get my 27 to 30 inches between sticks

Back