• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First saddle kills

twobiscuit

SH Member
I'm fairly new to the site and am very new to the saddle hunting way of life. My first saddle kill was with the bow. A decent sized doe. I set up in a pine tree on the edge of some live oaks and a cut over. 3 does came out directly in front of me. I was hidden behind the tree. I was sitting and had my back back cinched up tight. I was able to get stood up and loosen the back band and get a shot on my strong side. Drilled her at 18 yards. If I would have been in my climber like normal, I don't know how it would have played out. 3 sets of eyes watching me try to stand up and shoot would have probably been real sketchy.

2nd and 3rd kills were with my muzzle loader. Me and a buddy went in to a spot he has hunted many times over the years. I've been there once. I stopped at the first hot sign I saw. Several rubs and a great trail coming through them. I got set up and checked my phone and he said, 12 of em headed to ya. I replied that I haven't seen em. That was short lived. Seconds later I hear deer pitching to me. 40 yards out and I shot the first one. I knew I hit her good because she got wobbly. But with all those deer i didn't see her fall. The rest of them just kind of looked around like what was that? Now reloading a muzzle loader isn't the easiest thing to do if you are trying to be quiet. I had my reloading stuff in a side pocket of my pack. Dropped the pellets down the barrel, put the bullet in, grabbed the ram rod to start pushing the bullet in and saw 2 of the remaining deer headed my way and closing fast. I swung around to the back side of the tree to hide and kept trying to get it loaded. Worst thing that would happen is that they would bust me. By now I'm shaking a little with adrenaline and the ram rod is "tink tink tinking" down the barrel. I finally get the bullet seated and grab a primer. They are still coming. Still not sure what's going on. I take aim on the biggest one at 15 yards and drop her where she stands. I try to reload again but they finally ease off. Got set up at 3pm. Killed them at 315. Super fun day! I'm really digging the saddle and the way you can hide behind the tree. It has helped me twice so far. The the daylight pictures are the muzzle loader does and the dark one is the bow kill.
171cd14842299ab0a7c60117c0847185.jpg
3982bbcc343015835965a4e548a486b0.jpg
17c4d83ec203a2c8e0e89a5d6e5fba42.jpg

Congrats brother, the more you hunt from your saddle the more you will begin to understand what all the fuss is about!!

I don't know why they posted like that. Like I said, I'm fairly new to the site! LOL Hopefully they come out right side up now.

Attachments

• 20191220_173454~2.jpg
    20191220_173454~2.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20191227_152317~2.jpg
    20191227_152317~2.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 18
Back