• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First saddle selection

rhodesvt

I’m really having a hard time time nailing down specifically how I want to set up my first saddle. I really like the looks of the Mantis and what the Tethrd guys are doing, but the Kestrel Flex has some features that really draw my attention as well....decisions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to saddle hunting. As a new saddle hunter this year it would be foolish for me to offer advice. Whatever you pick don't question your decision. I guarantee once you get your saddle you will wonder if you should have got a different one. Opinions on saddles very by each user. Look at the lead times for each saddle if you plan using one this year. I ended up getting the FLex, which I have already modified. It was no benefit for me for top and bottom pleat to open. Unless you add the elastic webbing it will stay open all the time anyway. Good luck in your decision. You may be able to go to the classifieds and post a WTB and get a new one that someone ordered just to try.

I’m probably going to get something between now and next summer....likely going to keep researching and figuring it out and go all in next season...unless something falls into my lap. The demand right now outweighing the supply is crazy!

I’m probably going to get something between now and next summer....likely going to keep researching and figuring it out and go all in next season...unless something falls into my lap. The demand right now outweighing the supply is crazy!

There are a lot of safe DIY options you pick up to get started. Lots of info on the site to explore if you wanted to start saddle hunting this season.

If you intend to wait for a commercial option, I’d recommend making a diy fleece saddle in the meantime. They can be made for about $25 and a half hour of work. Pair that with a rock climbing harness or a traditional tree stand harness and you’ll be good to go. My diy fleece saddle is still the most comfortable saddle I’ve ever sat in.

Back