• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First saddle thoughts. Also questions

Tylerhorner33

So I want to start saddle hunting next season. My dad just switched to one and loves it. I’ve tried to do a lot of reading and watching videos to get an idea of what I want/need. I’m torn on whether to got for a 2 panel system of single. I’m kind of limited on funds so trying to keep it around 200. I’m currently leaning toward either the H2 or the Tethrd ESS . Side note, how do you guys deal with cold weather? I usually walk in light and carry my heavy bibs and jacket on my pack until I’m in my stand. Wasn’t sure how layering like this works while in the saddle. Just don’t want to over heat on the way in.

I'd recommend you give archerytalk.com FS adds a try. A lot of used saddles and saddle equipment there more so there then here. Better prices to.
You will have to join the site to buy I don't think it costs anything to buy. Not sure if you need a minimum of posts to buy either.

You will find saddles for sale in a sub forum for stands and similar items.

I find myself buying used now as much as new. Have bought more used guns of late than new same with rifle scopes. Havent bought a new for that year bow since 2005. Back in 2016 Bought a 2014 NIB Darton DS3714 for 45% less than new. Amazing how much money you can save if you don't have to have it RIGHT now and can wait a while
Updating to add doesn't hurt to check Ebay for used hunting saddles and related equipment.
Just be sure to title your search for tree saddles and or hunting Saddles or you will get tons of for sale adds for the type of Saddles meant for horses not people to wear

Last edited:
I would recommend the Cruzr XC, if you have the money. I absolutely love mine, more than the Phantom. I don't have any experience with the 2-panel designs yet, but I have a Latitude Method and another on the way...

I wear good warm clothes, no cotton, ArcticShield boot blankets, and I use the SBW heater from Tethrd on the saddle. No issues vs. sitting in a stand or on the ground!

Good luck and be safe!

Side note, how do you guys deal with cold weather? I usually walk in light and carry my heavy bibs and jacket on my pack until I’m in my stand. Wasn’t sure how layering like this works while in the saddle. Just don’t want to over heat on the way in.

I only wear a shirt on top (with a base layer when cold) until I'm up the tree (single sticking). It's easy to put on a jacket with my saddle in place. If you want to put on bibs I imagine they need to go on at the base of the tree (without the saddle on).

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

So I want to start saddle hunting next season. My dad just switched to one and loves it. I’ve tried to do a lot of reading and watching videos to get an idea of what I want/need. I’m torn on whether to got for a 2 panel system of single. I’m kind of limited on funds so trying to keep it around 200. I’m currently leaning

toward either the H2 or the Tethrd ESS . Side note, how do you guys deal with cold weather? I usually walk in light and carry my heavy bibs and jacket on my pack until I’m in my stand. Wasn’t sure how layering like this works while in the saddle. Just don’t want to over heat on the way in.

I’ve tried the Tactisaddle, sitdrag, Mantis, H2 and settled on the Treehopper recon. A two panel saddle is way more comfortable than a single panel due to the adjustability. Nothing compares to it and it’s only $150 brand new. As far as layering I do the same thing, I go in light and layer in the stand. I do not wear my saddle in. I carry a small backpack and it goes in there with any clothes I want to carry in. I either put all the clothes and my saddle on when I get to the base of my tree or after I climb up and get settled in. Depends on how hot or cold I am after the walk in. Good luck!

So I want to start saddle hunting next season. My dad just switched to one and loves it. I’ve tried to do a lot of reading and watching videos to get an idea of what I want/need. I’m torn on whether to got for a 2 panel system of single. I’m kind of limited on funds so trying to keep it around 200. I’m currently leaning toward either the H2 or the Tethrd ESS . Side note, how do you guys deal with cold weather? I usually walk in light and carry my heavy bibs and jacket on my pack until I’m in my stand. Wasn’t sure how layering like this works while in the saddle. Just don’t want to over heat on the way in.
A jacket tucks in easy when in the saddle, just stand up on your platform to you get a little slack in your tether and tuck the jacket into your saddle like you tuck a shirt into your pants. Shows how old I am, I guess a lot of men don't tuck shirts these days. When I am up on my platform and ready to hunt I always loosen my belt on my saddle and push my saddle down like some of the young guys wear there pants. It's comfortable that way for me and it eliminates hip pinch for me. Also makes the tuck easier. Bibs, I think that is a on the ground at the tree thing for saddle hunting. I use to wear Bibs, Then I got camo down pants and a camo down coat. They pack down super small and are crazy warm and so light to carry. I wish I could tell you which type of saddle and brand would work best for you but it's like shoes. You have to try them. I have a Aero Hunter Kite that I really like. But there is a learning curve to comfort in these things. It takes hours up in a tree many times to figure it all out and optimize. At least for me. You tube may help. A lot of saddles reviewed and not everyone is crazy about 2 panel but some would never give theirs up. What ever you get put in I would say at least 10, 3 to 4 hour sits, so that you can play with adjustments and make sure you are realizing all the comfort that setup can give you. Way more learning curve than a tree stand as far as finding comfort. Tree stand curve is learning safe climbing, hanging, and tethering for your body harness. Than you stand or sit done. Saddles have so many things you can tweek and they have a significant addition or subtraction from your comfort. Play with saddle position on your body, leg loop tension (I like loose), waist belt tension ( I like loose), tether height (me about chin high), bridge length ( I like it about up to the base of my neck if I pull it up), too short a bridge gives me hip pinch. God Bless you and your hunts and family.

Last edited:
Come to the light, the JX3 tree saddle light..............
Don't be afraid, you will sit from dark to dark very comfortably, be able to snooze when you want, no dreaded hip pinch, no back aches, you can shoot 360° around the tree.
No platform required, only a ROS, no knee pads required, no sore knees, built in pack frame for carrying all your needs.
Buy once, cry once.
Come to the light, the JX3 light...........

Back