• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First sit in my saddle, platform thoughts

mudminnow

i got a kestrel for Christmas and finally had some time to sit in it today. I used my climbers bottom section as a platform and realized, as I thought, I will need something different. So as I am sitting in my saddle thinking about the next thing to buy I had some questions.

I am a dentist, and a common joke is that if you ask three dentists how to do something you will get six different answers. I am seeing there are some similarities in the saddle community. Haha

So should I go the DIY rout with a “Ernie’s” kit?

Should I wait until wild edge/any others company comes out with theirs?

Basically I want to have a good three months practice before my Sept 15th opener with my set up that I will be using.

What would you do?

I'd get an ernies platform. It doesn't hurt to have an extra if you find something new on the market later. Some guys like to have an extra they they can maybe leave in a tree that they hunt frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on a great saddle.
If I were a dentist I would buy one of everything!

Each type of platform has strengths and limitations. I have yet to try a platform but I love my Wild Edge Stepps - rock solid, easy to pack, inexpensive. Yup, love'm.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Thanks, I should say that I am a new dentist so student/practice loans take up a good bit of the fun budget haha

Also where I hunt is private, and the owner is not getting with the saddle program yet. He is wanting to set up lock ons this year and I am going to get the sticks and just hunt out of the saddle on the same trees most likely. I’ll look at the Ernie’s platform.

I have an Ernie's platform I will sell you for a good price. I'm trying to clear out space so I can buy more stuff!
PM me if interested.

Just my 2 cents but if it were me I would get a set of wild edge steps and a Ernie kit this way you can advance on deer I have a very similar situation we have 25 stands all hung in same spots for years with a saddle you move and advance on the deer and kill them not just watch them from the same old stands in the same places that the deer know were they are

Back