• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First sit in the saddle

George426f

I just stumbled upon saddle hunting over the summer. I’m mainly a public land hunter in the mountains of western North Carolina, I bought a climbing stand several years ago but hardly ever lugged that thing deep into the game lands because if I killed something I would have to drag a deer and that stand out. So, I’ve been mainly hunting from the ground in natural ground blinds I’ve thrown together. Saw this saddle hunting stuff on YouTube a couple months ago and the light weight really appealed to me. Did some research and was a little turned away by the price of the commercially made saddles, then came across the sit-drag/RCH DIY saddles, I’m pretty handy so I figured I would give that route a go. Bought a sit drag a speedy stitcher and a bunch of odds and ends to put this thing together. I had some screw in steps already so that was going to be my climbing method. Opening day was this past Saturday. First sit in the saddle and I put down my first deer in 3 years (granted I haven’t made it out much the past couple years). Arrowed a doe at 30 yds, she never knew I was there. I did learn that those screw in steps are for the birds, at least for putting in and out every time. I enjoyed the saddle for the hour or so I was all set up at hunting height. My climber will probably see a new home soon. Climbing sticks are in the near future. I’ve got $160 in my sitdrag/RCH setup. That includes the sit drag, RCH, sewing awl, rope for lineman’s, tether, and prusiks, webbing, carabiners, dye (for ropes), webbing belt. I’ll probably sew a few more attachment points on it with my left over webbing just to have more options. I wish I would have come across this stuff years ago.

Attachments

• D6FA6B78-E46A-4F54-BB1B-792D3A945167.jpeg
    D6FA6B78-E46A-4F54-BB1B-792D3A945167.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 635E8051-A0C4-4A17-B82E-70AD0B9EF938.jpeg
    635E8051-A0C4-4A17-B82E-70AD0B9EF938.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 92278032-9A1F-4FAC-B73E-04FED2887EAA.jpeg
    92278032-9A1F-4FAC-B73E-04FED2887EAA.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 106
Nice job congratulations!! Welcome from coastal NC!! I love the mountains and one day I will live there!!!

I'm glad you were able to see a negative(cost of saddle hunting start up), and turn it into a positive(saddle hunting DIY) and then through some effort find success. There's a powerful lesson in that. We have a bunch of innovative minds here. Welcome from Massachusetts and congratulations on your first saddle deer.

Great story to start my morning! Congrats!

How about a picture of your first saddle deer?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That’s a nice looking saddle! Probably the best DIY one I’ve seen. Nice job! Welcome to the rabbit hole too! It’s a deep one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome from Georgia. The sit drag is where a bunch of us got started and it works as well today as it did years ago. Congrats on your first saddle deer.

Congrats on the first deer and welcome to the saddle hunting adventure!!! And welcome from SE Wisconsin.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

If u can use screw in steps I'd recommend slipping the climbing stick and look into drill and bolts..... Good job on not letting the money scare ya....u shown people get in a "saddle" on a budget.

Back