• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Time Calling a Tom

BowhunterXC

I've always had turkeys respond to my decoys, but never actually called one into my decoys. Today, there were 2 toms that were responding to my calls (hen yelps) and once they spotted the decoys, it was ON. As they were leaving the woods, they waded to cross the creek, then their focus was on my 2 hen decoys and the girls did the rest. :) It's been raining pretty hard, all morning.
I shot him at 7:10 and from about 20 feet from my Rhino ground blind.
1f4af.png
1f44d.png
1f60e.png

I 1/4" spurs and a 10 1/2" beard.
Mossberg 500 Turkey Special in 12 gauge with 3" Winchester Long Beard #5s.

I've always had turkeys respond to my decoys, but never actually called one into my decoys. Today, there were 2 toms that were responding to my calls (hen yelps) and once they spotted the decoys, it was ON. As they were leaving the woods, they waded to cross the creek, then their focus was on my 2 hen decoys and the girls did the rest. :) It's been raining pretty hard, all morning.
I shot him at 7:10 and from about 20 feet from my Rhino ground blind.
1f4af.png
1f44d.png
1f60e.png

I 1/4" spurs and a 10 1/2" beard.
Mossberg 500 Turkey Special in 12 gauge with 3" Winchester Long Beard #5s.
Congrats! I know a wet bird is a ugly bird but post up a pics when you get him dried out!

Back