• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First time saddle user

Gobblergetter23

I just joined this forum because I recently purchased a saddle off of AT... Looking for advice for hunting out of a saddle. How do you guys pack in calls rattling horns stuff like that. I plan on practicing from ground level for awhile before I make the jump to hunting with it. I like the idea of platforms but will see what my preferences are. Any advice would help looking forward to what this site has to offer

I typically carry the bare minimum, but the easiest way to carry things in is a small backpack or fanny pack. Packs typically will get hung on a hook at height just like the bow does. I finished my saddle this spring, so this will be my first season in it as well but I have put many hours in it already, including a 6 hour observation sit. From my experience, you will very quickly get comfortable enough in a saddle to leave ground level. Just make sure you practice shooting out of it as well, because your form will be entirely different than it is on the ground, especially at odd angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would putting the pack on a hook directly in from of you on the tree be a good spot?

Would putting the pack on a hook directly in from of you on the tree be a good spot?

Lots of guys use a rope or webbing with multiple hooks around the tree.
Some stuff, I hang up high away from the tether/bridge area - layering pieces, water, etc. Things I won't need more than once. The rest get hung lower where you can reach it - calls, binos or other things that you will want to have minimum movement to access and may need in short order.

But I think you will find many of the guys here are trying to minimize what they carry. I don't take binos on a bow hunt (if I need them, the deer clearly is out of bow range. So I can reach my bow with my left hand and my call with my right hand. The rest is either on a side of the tree I know I won't need to get to, or is above my tether.

I just joined this forum because I recently purchased a saddle off of AT... Looking for advice for hunting out of a saddle. How do you guys pack in calls rattling horns stuff like that. I plan on practicing from ground level for awhile before I make the jump to hunting with it. I like the idea of platforms but will see what my preferences are. Any advice would help looking forward to what this site has to offer

Welcome to the site!

I pack whatever other gear I need in a backpack just like if I was hunting out of a treestand. The difference is that I'm always wearing my treestand :) because I wear my saddle in and out. Practicing at ground level is a great idea. Work out your system and you'll be fine once you get up in a tree.
When I'm set up in a tree, I have 2 hooks. I have one on the left side of the tree for my bow (righty), and one on the opposite side on my right at 1-2 oclock for my pack. I put the one for my bow so that the bow hangs within easy reach. The one for my back is set so that pack hangs somewhere between my shoulders and knees, so that when I need to rotate around the tree I can easily clear the pack without it getting in the way (thats also why its in this spot, its a spot I rotate to the least). I just hang my quiver off my pack and everything I need is within reach.

What saddle did you get?

Welcome to the site!

I pack whatever other gear I need in a backpack just like if I was hunting out of a treestand. The difference is that I'm always wearing my treestand :) because I wear my saddle in and out. Practicing at ground level is a great idea. Work out your system and you'll be fine once you get up in a tree.
When I'm set up in a tree, I have 2 hooks. I have one on the left side of the tree for my bow (righty), and one on the opposite side on my right at 1-2 oclock for my pack. I put the one for my bow so that the bow hangs within easy reach. The one for my back is set so that pack hangs somewhere between my shoulders and knees, so that when I need to rotate around the tree I can easily clear the pack without it getting in the way (thats also why its in this spot, its a spot I rotate to the least). I just hang my quiver off my pack and everything I need is within reach.

What saddle did you get?

I got TL ambush tree saddle should be here Saturday... I have been reading about the differnt mods. Would it be wise to Go with a different tree strap or use the current original tree strap??14528d40b5c411e74deef7f8cfec9e57.jpg 3fac51097be9d560a7ac642c43ab2444.jpg

I loved the original tree strap on the tree saddle. I don't see any reason to go with something different right out of the gate.

Welcome to the site. I try to pack as little as I am going to need. Also take your time with the saddle as it will feel completely different from what your probably used to. Don't be afraid to adjust things and if you don't feel comfortable take a step back. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast as they say. Practice shooting from various angles as they are slightly different from the conventional tree stand. Best of luck to you and welcome aboard!!

Is it still important to rotate at the hips when shooting?

Yes, but it will be different than if you are standing on a platform. You may be able to rotate more of your entire body to maintain your form rather than just bending at your hips. It takes practice to get a feel for this.

Is this how you set up the rope
0f8737034812396d6af15abe64e081f5.jpg
150c32c8c65a62961e8a5aa98374bfc7.jpg

I always captured both straps in front. That's called the "bridge".

The first upgrade you'll want to make is to change over to a rope style hookup with a prussic knot. The tree saddle webbing strap is not as user friendly. You can buy an HSS rope style safety strap at most outdoor stores, and sometimes even Walmart. I still use those ropes today.

Ok that is what I thought I'm still trying to figure out if I prefer a high tether or low Tether

2bb2e8fdb0c0251919f1ac5e29685fe5.jpg
ce930d4a70f83ac9dbfef9a366cbb518.jpg
. This feels much more comfortable

This one is closer. Like g2 said you want both parts of your saddle bring to be holding you up.
You can put a screw in step upside down to stop the strap from sliding down the tree, or you can wrap the strap around the tree again then tie 1/2 an overhand knot.

I would keep the strap as flat as possible while wrapping it. And I always let the extra just hang between my legs. If it was too much I'd just tie it up so it didn't hang too far.

OK just trying to get this figured out it looks like I am up in there I'm actually only about 4 feet I'm going to shoot out of it tomorrow and maybe get a little higher

Once you've figured out your saddle, consider used a set of tool belt suspenders to hold your saddle up as you walk into your hunt. The elastic suspenders that come with the saddle are too weak.

Back